Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Graphisoft Technology Preview Program 2024

"New" Global Libraries - Parametric Object Creation?

Kalib Stewart
Contributor

There's been a lot made about moving to global libraries, which hasn't actually done much, seeing as the Archicad libraries have barely evolved over the past decade... Still no claddings, still no parametric windows and doors, still only like 2-3 skylights, still very very limited fixtures, casework, and appliances. Half of my Toolkit is just CI tools and their Select Library.

With all this fuss about transitioning from one form of library pack to another form of library pack, are there any plans to finally allow us to create our own "parametric families (objects)" in both 2D and 3D? 

GDL is archaic and redundant for anyone trying to be productive design and documentation-wise; we don't have the time nor the desire to code so that I can make a 3D tap or a stretchable 2D symbol...And then test it for hours on end until I figure out where the single wrong line of code is.

Param-o is clunky and requires creating 10 blocks with 20 lines to create a four-leg table... Nice if you're experienced in Grasshopper, worthless if you're not.

And, the library part maker, at least in my experience, seems awfully slow and limited. There's also little to no available documentation available on how to even use it in an optimal fashion, and it seems I have to be doing it in separate files all the time.

So, for this 28 release/preview, are actually going to see any substantial improvements in our libraries or our library creation ability upon the release or before the end of this decade? This global library "feature" has so far been nothing but moving existing objects into new folders, and I could have done that in Windows Explorer and some website downloads.

This "Global International Library" has given me access to maybe 4 new useful objects...

It's been what, 10 years and for example there's still only one very limited vanity option.... 10 years with essentially the same limited library and no efficient ways to add to it. Is there actually any work at all going on in this area at GS?

Revit's had this mastered for years and it seems GS hasn't even started.

44 REPLIES 44

Hi

a dead plugin no improvement since version 16, it would be good to update this plugin for new features like live connection like with grasshopper, 

we want ambitious developers not employees, for the person who asks architects to invest money and time to learn GDL and make parametric objects like archicad will become a subscription only and not a perpetual license, I prefer to invest my time and money to learn another software type Allplan 2025 or Vectorworks 2025 which is developing at an impressive speed I am shocked by their development and I really have the impression that archicad is the last wheel on the carriage

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27

Kudos for your patience. Yet... a lot of chanfered boxes...And a terrible tool, with terrible access to it's features. Anyone that have professionally modeled in other tools will hate morph. It is like saying paint is good because some dude with lots of time on his hands painted the monalisa on it. 

mthd
Ace

This video from a CI tool is showing how a GDL designed cabinet module can be graphically edited even in 3D edit mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHZIFNVUFQw

Most of us Designers and Architects could use this without knowing GDL scripting. As a GS/FW customer we get access to this tool in our region.

We could certainly use more tools like this in native Archicad to help us all.

But for highly parametric shapes we could use another app like Rhino or similar to help us model more complex objects.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

It looks like there is general agreement that GDL "sucks". I do have different opinion. I am not programmer, just architect by profession 40+ and archicad user 30+.

I have never learn GDL but just use GDL manual when we need objects ( I am not a genius just smart a..s). In good old days, I didn't have options to get objects or anything with help included from other users, there was no internet. You have problem than write a letter (paper, pen, envelope, stamps) and send it to Hungry, 2 months later you might get letter back with questions what is your configuration of hardware and software). I didn't have to much choice.

Some of you guys comparing work on other cad softwares with archicad and complaining, others have better ways, that's good I would like to have everything possible in archicad tool box, but that will not change much archicad work flow for some of us. We did learn how to use archicad with GDL included and you should to..

Please don't tell us that we are architects and not programmers. Most of us spent time learning something in our life and are successful I hope in this profession. Reading 156 pages of GDL script from time to time shouldn't stop you designing another Tai mahal

You can model "anything" in archicad or import "families" and save them as objects and if you don't know how to add parameters to them or script them in GDL, than keep them in separate file and modify to suit and save modified object.

Unfortunately objects made this way or imported from BIMObjects or other sources are super big and full of crap in script in comparison to scripted GDL, but this is ok now with fast computers.

Somebody earlier was asking the easy way to do table with parameters. Attached 5 minute work of not educated programmer just architect. File is 3kb size

I challenge anybody to do this object in any program smaller file size and with parametric 3D and 2D.

Las comments:

learn GDL don't wait for Graphisoft to add magic tool Revit or whatever cad like it might not happen.

If you like those other cads ways of working you probably made mistake to start learning and using Archicad. 

Table 2D script.png

Table 3D script.png

Table Parameters.png

   

user since A3

@SAW wrote:

Every self-respecting bureau has a programmer... Simple GDL objects can be created by any novice architect who has completed a basic course in studying Archicad. I do not see any problems... for an ordinary architect, that is, for a person with higher education... Not to mention the fact that all architects have an assessment in computer science (beginner level).

@SAW I would really love to please see the stats & especially the sources on which you base these very strong statements of "fact"? 

Regards
Francois Swanepoel
Everything happens in Archicad since v6.5 (2000) ‌
Hiking, Motorbiking, Good food, Gr8! Beer & excellent conversation 😉
#MadeByDyslexia is my unfair advantage – expect curious ideas, creative big thinking & small typos.
<> www.fusionBIM.co.za <> www.Scirrus.co <> www.BIM2fusedVR.com <> (new) Anatomy of Archicad Course

I read more and more that AI could do coding to some degree.

Has anyone tried this for this use case?

Yes, I have experimented somewhat. It has begun to improve—ChatGPT, that is—but it still struggles with creating a simple table. Then again, I haven't invested the effort to train GPT, which I assume is necessary. When I present my code to GPT after revising its output, it recognizes its mistakes.

This has been my experience, although I'm certain others have had more success.

Not everybody has the special gift of GDL code comprehension and writing, that is just being realistic of course. Archicad is software that we purchase to design with, not to code with to design objects. Why even use Archicad if you can write your own code ? Write your own software and save yourself some money.

I speak and read English, do I need to learn Chinese to communicate my designs to others ? No not at all. If I can draw with a pencil instead of code then I would do that first. 

GDL is definitely not user friendly and that should only be for special library part designers. Or in house at GS to create more library objects for all of us to use.

Why not have depository of library objects created by those with the gift that we can share for free ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

Hi, @mthd 

creating GDL objects is business, and it is these same people who make this business who try to make us believe that GDL is powerful and that it must be learned to the detriment of your time spent creating an object that can sometimes cost you your job in the tone of an employee and to the detriment of the software itself, go ask a civil engineer or a mep engineer to code their GDL objects, Archicad will never win the hearts of engineers if this GDL code problem is not resolved, Paramo was an excellent initiative, no one asked the question of why people did not use it? simply because it was not a project to

finish, and I hope it is not because of the people who do GDL business, unfinished projects finished in the trash why invest time to learn something that will end up in the trash like python, I like archicad but they should review their projects and their progress status we should not accept that a tool is developed for more than two years the case of opening tool a project that lasted almost 4 to 5 years guys it's too much

AMD Ryzen 5950x
AMD RX 6750xt
AC27

Check this link if you look for free objects https://graphisoft.com/downloads/parametric-objects 

Unfortunately some of those objects are made by modelling, so size and quality is might be bad. 

Archicad is object modeller whatever you do in archicad you can save as GDL object, so use it, if you don't know how to add parameters than save your modelled objects as pln in separate file and edit in archicad when you need to do changes. Much more flexible way than have limited number of parameters in object.

There is one old way to make objects with parameters without knowledge of GDL by using Library Part Maker.

https://graphisoft.com/downloads/addons/lpm/int

.There were already negative comments about LPM in this list, probably because some users would like to make more complex objects, if you look for doors windows or simple objects LPM is ok.  

You don't have to "speak and write" GDL to be able script GDL objects, just save anything as object. It is good to know how things work to be good in any profession, architects don't need to know how to use hammer or concrete mixer to design building, but I wouldn't call myself architect if I wouldn't work on site and see how all work. New tools require new knowledge, if you don't want to use it than ask somebody for help or find it on manufacturers sites, there is plenty of sites with .gdl and .gsm objects 

user since A3

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!