Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

3D CONVERSION IS TOO SLOW

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm doing a fairly big residential building 8 stories 200 apartments and when I try to open the 3d window the program just freezes. I tried already turning off the 3d objects and it still happens. I already tried leaving it like for three hours working and it finally produces the model. Is archicad this slow or am I doing something wrong?

vaio laptop pentium 1.7 ghz ,512 ram , xp
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
Get more ram.

512 = puny.

program slow due to file disk swapping

or:

are you getting error reports in REPORT file?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, when I arrived this morning, it had finished the 3d conversion an it posted an internal gl engine error.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Your little Sony may not be up to the task. I recommend 3GHz and 2GB RAM if you can manage it.
Dwight
Newcomer
The largest model I have worked on, largely due to foliage polygons and not massive numbers of suites, never addressed more than 1.8 Gb of memory in 3D or during rendering.

This on a machine with 3.5 Gb of memory.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm working on a large house on a large lot, meaning lots of trees, several cars, and that Roof Tile tool from Objects Online. Lots of polygons.

This G5 does OK, except for a persistent "Connection failed" warning which stops the work several times per rendering, which means I can't leave the machine alone overnight. (In another thread I explained that we use a G4 as Server to a PC laptop and to this G5 rendering machine. A library for this house was loaded to the Server from the PC.)

Two questions.

1. Ideas for eliminating this pesky warning pop up?
2. G5 renders, fans blow then get quiet again and the rainbow wheel spins for several seconds. Why?
3. How do you monitor the RAM usage on Macs?

OK three questions.
Anonymous
Not applicable
a proffesional opengl Graphics card will solve the problem
I have an nvidia quadro fx 1100 and the difference from past normal graphics card is enormous when using opengl engine.

All those cards do hardware wireframe acceleration.
Dwight
Newcomer
MAC RAM USE:

Utilities folder: Activity monitor
Set to show System memory
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I must say I'm a little disappointed that the turbo-fans in my G5 don't scream whilst rendering. The CPU seems so casual especially when I'm in a hurry, ...and the activity utility illustrates that.