Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

AC27 IntelMacs: 3D view causes the freezing of all views

Romans
Expert

This misbehavior started with the AC27 Technical Preview and is still happening in the now available final release:

Opening the 3D view or selecting something in the 3D view, or changing something in the 3D view almost always leads to the freeze of all open views. Sooner than later. No more interaction within the views is possible.

Saving and also BIMcloud operations (Send and receive, release all, etc.) are still possible.

But only a restart of Archicad resolves that issue.

It is a problem mainly (only?) happening on Intel-based Macs.

And yes, 3D Antialiasing (with Hardware antialiasing mode) and the new Physically based renderer in 3D Window (Work Environment settings) are turned off.

Also, miscellaneous MacOS systems make no difference.

Any news /workarounds about this critical problem?

A 3D application without the option to work in the 3D view is rather weird.

Apple iMac Pro with macOS Sonoma, AC 5.0 to 27 INT and GER, all the latest
38 REPLIES 38

It is a weird thing, as AC26 (and earlier) doesn't have this problem and there was no change with the 3D engine for AC27, as far as I know. 
So it is hard (for me) to understand why is this behavior now...

Apple iMac Pro with macOS Sonoma, AC 5.0 to 27 INT and GER, all the latest

Aaaaaaand... they increased SSA by another 10% in June for an update that is unusable. They owe us a rebate for the months from our latest SSA renewal until a fix is out. Utterly disappointed in them that they knew about this months ago and didn't fix it...

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

@Oleksandra Vakariuk Can we have an immediate statement on when the quick fix update 1 will be available.

1) Disable the 3D anti-aliasing as mentioned

2) Release update tomorrow. Do not wait for other fixes. This is urgent!

I need to know when we can expect a fix. Do I need to go out and buy an ARM Mac immediately because we can't expect a fix before the end of the month? the end of November? The end of the year?

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

Arggghicad - Designed by accountants for architects. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
DGSketcher
Legend

I am regularly seeing lock ups without the grey out in AC27 3001. From what I can see they are caused by perhaps impatience on my part, but the lock ups all seem to follow selecting the 3D window tab and my assumption that the 3D window has completed its redraw, if I then provide input, typically mouse, but sometime shortcut keys the beach ball appears for a short while. In my case all the windows are as expected but frozen. Fortunately Save works, but it requires restarting AC.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
DGSketcher
Legend

One further observation there seems to be some correlation between having an element selected on plan and switching to the 3D view (using tabs), possibly associated with locked elements. 🤔 Will keep an eye on it, but if anyone else sees a pattern... 

As of today, December 12, 2023, the 4003 hotfix still does not fix the Intel Mac 3D window issue that crashes the computer. Why in the name of all that is sacred hasn't this been fixed after several months (including beta testing where it was first reported)?

I had to leave my office to return home to work on my ARM Mac to be able to work in 3D. My office logistics should not depend on a software's dependability that costs me $1000 per year.

It's time Mac users band together and ask for a rebate or an extension of our SSA start date.

I purchased a drone from DJI in late-2021 that did not have all of its advertised features implemented yet. It took them three months to do so. Once the feature set was complete, then and only then, did they start everyone's warranty and extended warranties. It is only right that Graphisoft do the same for a software that crashes so much we cannot use it.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Good morning Maximilian,

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments, and I believe it's crucial for us to come together and make our voices heard. On another note, I'd like to share that Graphisoft recently approached me to test a limited version of AC27 INT specifically designed to address "our" issues. I'm pleased to report that it performed exceptionally well—I worked seamlessly for a week on various files without encountering any problems, even with hardware acceleration active.

Unfortunately, the trial period for this specialized build has concluded, and I've returned to using my ITA 27.1.1 build with disabled hardware acceleration. Regrettably, this version continues to exhibit the known issues, forcing me to save and exit Archicad repeatedly and resulting in the loss of valuable hours.

The challenge we face is that the release date for the AC27 version intended to resolve our issues is set for February 2024 due to the ongoing validation period. While I understand the necessity of adhering to technical timelines, I'd like to address a straightforward question at this juncture: How will the period of impaired usability be addressed or compensated?

Fabio

Yes, your last sentence is the key... For me, it translates to "How can I work in an impaired fashion on a modern computer at my office!" I shouldn't have to buy a new computer because they can't fix their bugs. Every other software I used hums along perfectly.

Seriously, it should be $100 off every month we have to put up with this towards our next SSA costs.

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx

Tech Support has stated this isn't expected to be fixed until early- to mid-2024, probably March or April. Let's see, how many months we will be due a credit on our SSA?

Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx