Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Apple G5 vs. Windows Pentium D.

Anonymous
Not applicable
What would be a faster configuration? A new G5 maxed out or a Pentium D maxed out?

In addition to CPU and RAM, I checked the video card compat docs however most cards are only rated by one or two people. Not enough data to find an ultimate ArchiCAD video card.

Anyone want to chime in with the ultimate ArchiCAD computer? It can be a Mac or a Windows computer. Mainly looking for what's the fastest CPU and video card. Doing a lot of rendering elevations/sections, light works.

Thanks,

Monty
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know which one I would rather use hands down for everything outside of Archicad.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would recommend the G5 quad. LightWorks makes use of the multi-proceesors. Video cards make no appreciable difference in rendering, they mostly matter for OpenGL 3D navigation. AFAIK you need XEON chips for multiprocessing with Pentiums (or do the "D"s do it too?)

It s interesting on my dual core MacBook Pro that the LightWorks rendering is almost three times faster in WinXP which uses both cores, than it is in Rosetta in OSX which does not. I am looking forward to testing this in the Mactel native version when I get the chance.
Dwight
Newcomer
It is a bad time to buy a G5 Quad. End of product cycle......I am almost certain a fantastic new machine is coming from Apple in just weeks.
Dwight Atkinson