Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

ArchiCAD Crashes My Entire System

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ever since I installed the update for Archicad 10 for the Mactel (Mac Pro Duo) Archicad has been crashing the entire system. The problem seems to happen when I am opening Archicad. The problem seems to be randomly intermittent and a bit frustrating. I get the Gray Mac screen telling me that my system has encountered an error and needs to be restarted.

I am wondering if there is any thing I should or can do to fix the problem.

The bigest problem is the intermittent nature of the glitch. I cant seem to figure out if it is a specific file or Archicad in general. I have already reinstalled twice and the problem has not alleviated itself yet.
18 REPLIES 18
Karl Ottenstein
Do you have the most recent WIBU driver installed? Even though it is aimed towards supporting 9 and 10 simultaneously, it still might be related to the problem:

http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/Running_both_AC_10_and_AC_9_on_Intel_based_Macintosh

http://www.archicadwiki.com/Archicad_10/MacTel_version

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes I have the latest drivers. I just checked this morning. Sofar I have tried everything and always seem to get my hopes up then I will be opening a file in archicad or changing from one project to another or even just going to the 3-D window and the screen goes gray and I loose everything between my last save and then. Luckily I have developed the habit of saving regularly due to this problem.

This issue is more of a nucence than anything. The benifits of the mac pro is that it takes almost no time to restart.
Karl Ottenstein
Perhaps it is the graphics card, Chris. See this thread:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=78351#78351

which may be the same configuration as yours?

I found AC 10 on the MacBook Pro very stable and fast, but you and the other Chris are the first ones I've seen posts from who are using the new Mac Pros.

Check out the graphics test that Dwight links to in the other thread...and the next step may be Apple Support.

Keep us posted ... many of us are drooling over the Mac Pros.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Please contact your local tech support with the BugID (BugID's are stored in a text file called CrashSubmissionLog.txt). Nevertheless if your whole system crashes, then it is not (just) an Archicad problem.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft
Anonymous
Not applicable
Entire system?!
When AC does it, it does it well!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chriszolezzi, just to make you happy:
you are not alone with this problem, I have it too...

My configuration is the same as yours, and the important part of our configuration in this case is the 4GB of RAM.

But let's start with basics...

Usually the system crash happens when starting AC 10 (at least 5 out of 10 times). If the system survives the startup of archicad you can make sure AC 10 will take the system down within 15 minute.
However if I remove the extra 2GB of RAM (out of 4GB) it works great, without a hitch. No other app ever crashed the system with 4GB of RAM only AC 10.
(Most of the time 2-2,5GB is in use by other apps)
The strange thing is that I tested both pairs of RAM (2x1GB + 2x1GB) with AC 10 separately and they preform OK, but if both pairs (2x1GB + 2x1GB) are installed AC 10 crashes the whole system right away.
I tested with (512+512)+(1GB+1GB) of RAM and (1GB+1GB)+(1GB+1GB) = no luck.
I even tried with 3 different type of RAM - same bad result...
Seems like AC 10 is unable to run with more than 2GB of RAM on Mac Pro.
(Is there anyone with 4GB to confirm the opposite?)

Trashing the pref files did not help, reinstall likewise.
It also crashes with another WIBUKEY.
I also made a test with PPC version of AC 10 and it crashes the entire system just like the Intel version.

And now a surprise: AC 9 works great (however slow because of Rosetta),
but at least it does not crash the whole system.
Now I work with 2x1GB of RAM until I get some response from Graphisoft's Bug Tracking team.

May I ask you Chriszolezzi to try the same as I did: work with just 2 GB of RAM and let us know if that changed anything?

Thanx

I have been having the same issue. But it only happens with certian files and not all of my files.

Tried everything to figure it out. Libraries, prefs, reinstall, etc, etc.

Nothing has seemed to work.

In the process of merging files around to see if that fixes anything.

Will try the memory thing to see if that works though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
gkmethy wrote:
Please contact your local tech support with the BugID (BugID's are stored in a text file called CrashSubmissionLog.txt). Nevertheless if your whole system crashes, then it is not (just) an Archicad problem.
The bug ID is "2006-10-21-02-22-52-7141" if any one is interested.
Anonymous
Not applicable
the crashes are related to the NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card. Nvidias drivers have always had some issues on macs and it seems still do.

I upgraded to the ATI Radeon X1900 XT and all my crashes have disappears and i was able to put all my ram, 4 gigs, back in.