cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Archicad 8.1 & Quicktime

KeesW
Advocate
I've just acquired a student version of Archicad 8.1 to use at home but can't get to work because Quicktime won't load properly. After loading QT from the Archicad disk, I get the following error:

"40c: qttask.exe - no disk
There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk2\DR5."

The message is in a box and won't allow itself to be removed. the options Cancel, Try Again and Continue, in the bottom of the box don't work and only removing Quicktime from the computer removes it. But then, Archicad doesn't work!

Any suggestions?

KeesW
Pentium 3, Windows XP, Archicad 8.1, Matrox graphics, 512MB RAM
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
KeesW wrote:
I've just acquired a student version of Archicad 8.1...
Before you get too far along, just be aware that the student version and the full version are NOT compatible. What you do in one can't be read in the other and vice versa... as far as I know.
KeesW
Advocate
Sergio

I know that! I have two full licenses but want to use the education version to review items and to develop GDL skills without having to bring the dongle home. Also, the dongle seems to alter some settings on the home computer - something goes wrong nearly every time we use it.
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

KeesW
Advocate
Gurus

My Archicad problem is obviously related to Quicktime. Does anyone else have trouble running it on Windows XP, or get the same error message? If so, is there anything that can be done about it?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

KeesW
Advocate
Isn't there anyone on the list who can steer me in the right direction? Am I the only user in the world to have a problem with Archicad&Quicktime&WindowsXP?

Help!!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

Eduardo Rolon
The only one I can think of is that Quicktime didn't install all its options. Try installing QT again and select custom and make sure that quicktime VR is selected and any other option you like
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

__archiben
Booster
run the quicktime updater (not sure if this included with the windows version?) and then go back and run it again to pick up 3rd party components to make sure you've got the lot.

does this help?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
stefan
Expert
Why don't you try to install the latest Quicktime first (from the Apple website) and then install ArchiCAD 8.1.

I do have the academic network-version on my PC with WindowsXP (the same CD also has the student version, but I never tried it). Too bad I can't use it, since it doesn't find the network dongle (which is on another part of our network).

The software works in the classrooms (but that is still 8.0).

That said, I also have the commercial version running on XP and all is fine.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use window XP and the quicktime runs pretty well.
KeesW
Advocate
Thank you for all of your replies, esp. Stephan. I completely removed and then reinstalled Quicktime and then Archicad and it has solved the problem for Archicad. However, whenever I try to run QT, the error message returns. There is something not right somewhere. Oh well, who needs Quicktime anyway!
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman