Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

B4 I jump into 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there anything I need to consider before I install?

I recently acquired AC9... and I can wait no longer...
8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
Y KNOT?
Jump in.

LFMNX! [I'll have ham and eggs]

DYNSXLN!

Just don't let it mess up the libraries in old projects - certain windows don't work right..... archiving of old work is important.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Y KNOT?
Hmmm...8.0 ring a bell?
Dwight wrote:
Just don't let it mess up the libraries in old projects - certain windows don't work right..... archiving of old work is important.
I don't plan on using it for any old projects. In fact, I will probably keep all of my projects (old and new) on 8.1 for some time. Unless I just become enchanted with new features, I will probably just use it for rendering...

My big concern relates to a few threads that have just totally confused me....especially around the "hotfix".
gkmethy wrote:
The installer works as simple as this: it checks what files you have, and replaces them with new ones.

Therefore if you have no files, nothing will be installed. If you don't have ArchiCAD.exe, no ArchiCAD.exe will be installed. If you don't have PlotMaker, no PlotMaker will be installed, etc.

If you have multiplied the ArchiCAD executable file only, then you have to make new copies. If you have multiplied the whole ArchiCAD folder, then you can patch them one by one pointing installer to the respective folder.

Greg
So...I don't really want to jump right in....

The water might just be too cold for my liking.
__archiben
Booster
Richard wrote:
Hmmm...8.0 ring a bell?
nothing much to fear this time. 9 was stable enough to use in day-to-day practice back in the early betas . . .
Dwight wrote:
I don't plan on using it for any old projects. In fact, I will probably keep all of my projects (old and new) on 8.1 for some time. Unless I just become enchanted with new features, I will probably just use it for rendering...
the 8 to 9 transition is quite seemless if, as dwight says, you pass the file through the PLA format to take it from 8 to 9. you can then enjoy 9 features and productivity gains on all of your recent projects, not just the new ones.
My big concern relates to a few threads that have just totally confused me....especially around the "hotfix".

So...I don't really want to jump right in....
this is really just an issue with the patch installer and system authentification/domain. if you don't have a complicated network set-up, (it sounds as though you're solo and don't?), you'll not get the problems . . .

one thing i will add . . . take a few days practicing the new selection methods and pet-palettes before you start to complain (as some people initially did!) - you'll then be able to take best advantage of them and never look back to 8! try taking one small(ish) job over and playing around with it . . . keep the old 8.1 file in case you really don't feel happy. but i'm sure you'll be fine!

good luck!
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Dwight
Newcomer
there are a few nagging problems that the PLA doesn't fix - certain window macros, for instance, but they are easy to locate.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you Dwight & Ben....

I think I will go swimming today!
Dwight
Newcomer
Remember, if you get it all installed and it works okay, the phrase you need to shout is what every Canadian nighttime skinnydipper shouts when he emerges from the water:

"Another muskie goes home hungry!"
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
what every Canadian nighttime skinnydipper shouts when he emerges from the water:

"Another muskie goes home hungry!"

No-o-o-o! Canadian nighttime skinnydippers???

woodster
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeee-Haaaw!!!!

Another muskie goes home hungry!