cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Best Mac to run AC9 and other graphics software

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are looking to switch from pc to macs in our graphics department. We are also going to purchase AC9 and allot of other graphics software, video editing tools, and other software that help us advance with the times.
Does anyone know of the best mac to buy (no money issues) and all of the components within to make AC9 and other software the fastest it can be
13 REPLIES 13
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Chad wrote:
Does anyone know of the best mac to buy (no money issues) and all of the components within to make AC9 and other software the fastest it can be
No money issues?? Can I come work for you?

In all seriousness, you get what you pay for. If money is really not an object, go for the biggest and fastest--dual 2.5GHz G5. Add as much ram as possible--in your case max out to 8 GB. Then add a NVIDEA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL to run your two 30" cinema HDs. Add (IMHO) a Kensington Expert Mouse Pro (which is actually, despite the name, a trackball)--shoot! I just drooled into my keyboard.

...I suppose you could get by with just one 30" cinema HD if you wanted to go "cheap"
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Dwight
Newcomer
Wait.

Don't go overboard!

ArchiCAD can still only address 2Gb of RAM.

The 30" cinema display is the most any normally sighted person can look at - it fills the visual field. Anybody who owns two of them will have Carpal Tunnel Neck - you know it: the bouncing head doggies in back windows of Hong Kong girlie cars.

I have 3.5 Gb - still the cheapest overall solution working with what they give you plus 512mg chips in the other slots - and with Photoshop running hot it still does not run out.
Dwight Atkinson
Dave Jochum
Advocate
Dwight wrote:
Wait.

Don't go overboard!

ArchiCAD can still only address 2Gb of RAM.

Sure, but who only has one app open at a time? I was being rather flippant with my answer, but Dwight's point is well-taken. You really do have to analyze your use and determine just what you need.
Dwight wrote:
The 30" cinema display is the most any normally sighted person can look at - it fills the visual field. Anybody who owns two of them will have Carpal Tunnel Neck - you know it: the bouncing head doggies in back windows of Hong Kong girlie cars.

You just don't want anyone to have more pixels than you!
Dwight wrote:
I have 3.5 Gb - still the cheapest overall solution working with what they give you plus 512mg chips in the other slots - and with Photoshop running hot it still does not run out.

We need more and more ram as apps get more complex. I keep in mind how long I expect to keep my CPU. The optimal situation would be adding ram during its life and using the last slots just before retiring the machine. If you think you'll have the machine long enough to need more than 3.5Gb, then I'd go with 1Gb chips as you need them. If not, then buying the 512Gb chips is more financially responsible.

I'm not sure how intense your demands are on your machines, but it probably isn't higher than Dwight's.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Dwight
Newcomer
With all of this "open" I"m down to 800Mg available, so I'd be closing one or more major applications to render in any of them.... but who needs to have Photoshop, ArchiCAD, Cinema and Artlantis open at the same time?

Sort of like my Greek friend Christo Pandeledes who claims to have "three women at the same time." Maybe you can work with two applications at once, but that third one waits forever.

And that 30" display. I was going for the two of them, but I made up a cardboard mockup and decided it was too big. Start with one and see.

Another option is the two 23-inchers..... if you have to have a seam, why go whole hawg?
Untitled-1.jpg
Dwight Atkinson
Eduardo Rolon
Dwight I see you are missing Quicksilver from your dock

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Dwight
Newcomer
had a look at it - why should I be inspired?
Dwight Atkinson
Eduardo Rolon
Too many reasons to list... mainly once you get used to it you can't live without it, check the link

http://www.43folders.com/quicksilver/index.html
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
The money issue is nice, luckily the architecture firm i work for is willing to pay for the best. Really one of the reasons im here is due to the great commercial projects they get in and the fact that they have the money to create a digital department in house.

Thanks for all the replys, i saw a 30" at an apple store in Raleigh NC and i drooled for 2 days over that thing.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chad wrote:
The money issue is nice, luckily the architecture firm i work for is willing to pay for the best.
But your still running Archicad 8.1?!!!