Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Converting an office from AutoCad to ArchiCad 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our office of about 40 in Northern California is about to begin converting to ArchiCad 9 from AutoCad. Myself and a few others are charged with the task of making this conversion happen. We plan on working closely with our local distributor, who I have heard is very helpful. I would like to hear any stories good or bad about conversion, tips on what to do and what to avoid, and any resources available for developing a conversion plan.

Thanks,
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well transition has been pretty rough, I took my first project like 75% through cd's and got kicked back into auto cad regarding elevations and sections. We use the archicad floor plans in which came out flawless ( well some of the techniques in furred walls did not display properly) but besides that I was able to make pen weights and line weights of objects appear the way the office staff had in their perspective. Very challenging for the term " well in autocad" I found myself fighting this phrase alot. By the way I am working in Version 10 - this is what one gal from the office had to say...From: Erin Reschke
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 11:48 AM
To: Renner Johnston; Alicia Chavez; Craig Stradley; David Sinohui; Gavalee Kittisathanon; Gerard R. Falla; Loren Hill
Subject: RE: Integrating Design & Construction - Webcast

Hey ArchiCAD users,
the past couple of weeks, every time I would get frustrated with myself in archiCAD, i would always think, "I wish I was using autoCAD!"
but the past couple days of talking to Jeff and getting lots of help from David S., I have improved my archiCAD and TODAY I just learned to really appreciate that program.
I was doing redlines for Tangren, and the deck can be seen in both the South and North Elevations. Well I made all these extensive changes to the deck in the south elevation and when I went to highlight out the redlines, I started highlighting out things on the north elevation too, before I realized the changes I made didn't even affect the north elevation at all. so for the first time ever I though "I wish I was working in ArchiCAD!"
-Erin

So its slow but working - In addition I am working on Project #2 The "Hurley Project" in archicad and this time I have a solution for the elevation and section diplays - I will keep you posted to let your know how far we have got this time around. To Be Cont.