Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Creating an external glass shell/skin

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am currently working on a studio design project for University (6th year).

I've only started using ArchiCAD (14) recently, and until now I have created 'generic' windows etc. within my building.

In my latest project however, I am attempting to create a glass exterior shell/skin around a building frame/structure. I have attempted to create a curtain wall to go around my building structure, but this creates a lot of thick framework around my glazing. Is it possible to create a 'lighter' glass box/shell around my building without such thick mullions etc? And how can I set these glass pane separators back a little, so they are not so obvious when looking at the building from the outside?

Precedent:

FIGGE Museum http://www.archinnovations.com/featured-projects/museums/david-chipperfield-architects-figge-art-mus...

I have tried a few tutorials and help sections but have found nothing specific to this problem.

Also, another question:
Is it possible to create frosted glass rather than the "clear/blue/mirror/lamp available"??

If you can help me out I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
You have full control over the profile/size of the curtainwall framing, including whether the frame is visible at all (e.g., panels=glass only).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to set back the mullions so they are flush with the glass? In the curtain wall i've created they protrude outwards.
Karl Ottenstein
You can do almost anything.

Attached is an image of a default CW in 3D after clicking the Edit 'button' in the 3D window, selecting the Frame tool and doing a cmd-A (ctrl-A Windows) to select all frame elements. I reduced the sizes of all elements in the Info Box.

Back in the CW Settings you can set offsets/etc.
Frames selected.gif
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Note that in the 3D edit mode, you can turn off the visibility of other CW components. Here, I've made everything except frames invisible. Sometimes this makes it easier to select pieces of the frame that should be different, moved, or deleted.

Cheers,
Karl