Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Display card

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm planning to buy a new computer PC. There is difficult to choose either "Geforce 6600GT 128MB" or "Radeon x700PRO 128MB". Could any professional renderer give some comment to me? THXS

I use AC 7 + art-lantis + C4D 8.5 + PC winXP
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:

Of course, PC's are still cheaper, aren't they?
Cheaper without all the bells and whistles.
Anonymous
Not applicable
i would just like to add that i have been looking for a card as well. for $640 (canadian) i purchased a Leadtek GeForce 6800GT. i have overclocked it now to run at 439/1100. my realtime 3D navigation is much improved over the Radeon 9600XT that i have been using til now.

For another $250 i could purchase a nVidia Quadro FX 700 workstation card. however, from my research in this forum, it seems that most users are discouraging the purchase of workstation cards on the basis of lack of specific driver sets being provided by graphisoft to the card vendors.

as i have one more week to exchange my card, i would like some input fom anyone who has suggestions for a different card. some have suggested that BFG has better drivers for AC9 than Leadtek. This is confusing to me, as i believe drivers come from nVidia, not Leadtek BFG or others. am i mistaken?

also i ran the card compatibility test with the Leadtek 6800GT and it ran just fine. but on my own more complex projects, the performance was not as good. this makes me question if a more rigourous test (similar to the Mark 05 test) should be established to create a true benchmarking utility for AC9.

Any feedback?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
A little cheaper to buy. Significantly more expensive to own.

In my own experience, and my observations of my clients.
Matthew wrote:
Dwight wrote:
A little cheaper to buy. Significantly more expensive to own.

In my own experience, and my observations of my clients.
A computer that can't run important software that your business depends on is no bargain. If every program you use is available on the Mac platform, then you may well be right. However, Corporate America is usually pretty capable of figuring out which equipment investments have the best ROI, and it seems to have voted decisively.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Dwight
Newcomer
Corporate America: the America where Dilbert works.
dilbert27323220050110.gif
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
I shouldn't be so cynical.
Richard "go with the flow" Morrison is right:
The numbers win.
That's why Revit will prevail.
And China.
Dwight Atkinson