Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Incorrect area units in fill areas

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys and Gals,
A quirk in 9. When first you use a fill to determine an area, (area text turned ont) regardless of what you have set for dimension units in preferences the area you will get will be in sq. meters (even though it says sq.ft.). For example--drawing a 4' square will list an area of 1.49 sq.ft., not 16 sq.ft. It is 1.49 sq.meters, but it ain't saying that.

A least a temporary fix is going into preferences, dimensions --under fills, turning units to meters, go back to the plan, and the unit designation will shift to sq.meters. Then go back and turn it to feet and it will be recalculated as sq. ft correctly.

Those of you who live in metric land probably haven't noticed this--but alas, we don't all live there.

Thought this might help somebody not have a bad day.

All the best
Bob Knight
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Robert wrote:
...A quirk in 9. When first you use a fill to determine an area, (area text turned ont) regardless of what you have set for dimension units in preferences the area you will get will be in sq. meters (even though it says sq.ft.). For example--drawing a 4' square will list an area of 1.49 sq.ft., not 16 sq.ft. It is 1.49 sq.meters, but it ain't saying that...
Robert,
I was not able to replicate your problem/bug. I drew the fill as you suggested and it displayed correctly as 16.00 sq ft. Just thought you would like to know

Dan K
David Pacifico
Booster
I've had a couple users have this issue on files started in 8 and then open'd in 9. I had them merge the file into a new 9 file (from a template) and that seem to fix it also.
David Pacifico, RA

AC27 iMac i9, 32 gig Ram, 8 gig video Ram
Greg Kmethy
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
It is a confirmed bug that happens only if you use an old template or bring an old file into ArchiCAD 9. It does not happen if you New&Reset based on the default AC 9 template or a template created in AC9. The workaround, as Robert suggested, is to go to preferences and change dimension units to metric and then back. This applies to both fill areas and zone areas.
Gergely Kmethy
VP, Customer Success, Graphisoft