cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Mac OSX, Open Directory Server login and ArchiCAD (9)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anybody out here using Open Directory when logging in your Mac users? We just switched over our login procedures a few week ago, and since then, I've been plagued by complaints of slow access to teamwork login and extremely slow loading of Plotmaker files over the network. Also, in PM, anytime a user switches navigator from subset view to drawing usage, we get a minute of beachball until it redraws the navigator.

Any solutions? I tried a clean install this morning, but it didn't seem to help.
5 REPLIES 5
TomWaltz
Participant
Which file system are you using?
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
hmm... what exactly do you mean by "file system"? Our IT consultant set up our login process to go through OpenDirectory to solve some Microsoft problems. I'm not aware of any file system changes he made. All of the sharepoints on the xserve appear to be the same, while the domain name of the server was changed. Search paths in TCP/IP setup now include both the old and new server domain name.

I can call/email our IT consultant, but I'd need to know what to ask.

Thanks Tom,

Wes
TomWaltz
Participant
Weston wrote:
hmm... what exactly do you mean by "file system"? Our IT consultant set up our login process to go through OpenDirectory to solve some Microsoft problems. I'm not aware of any file system changes he made. All of the sharepoints on the xserve appear to be the same, while the domain name of the server was changed. Search paths in TCP/IP setup now include both the old and new server domain name.

I can call/email our IT consultant, but I'd need to know what to ask.

Thanks Tom,

Wes
A file system is a decision the IT guy had to make when formatting the disks on the server. It determines how files are stored on the disk. Options could be HFS, HFSPlus, or JFS, among others.

The reason I ask is that we were using a journaled file system a while back (JFS) that slowed the whole network to a crawl.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
interesting thought... the disk format is journaled. Would the change to Open Directory login suddenly cause such a slowdown? We didn't have these problems prior to the switch. I also note that my own HD is JFS, but I don't have any problems working on new files saved locally.

Could something in that switch have made it hard for AC/PM to locate recent files (that feature just comes up with a blank icon at startup and an error saying "file not found at given location"). The "Recent Items" tab under the file menu shows the correct file name, but it also comes up with the same error.

wes
TomWaltz
Participant
Weston wrote:
interesting thought... the disk format is journaled. Would the change to Open Directory login suddenly cause such a slowdown? We didn't have these problems prior to the switch. I also note that my own HD is JFS, but I don't have any problems working on new files saved locally.

Could something in that switch have made it hard for AC/PM to locate recent files (that feature just comes up with a blank icon at startup and an error saying "file not found at given location"). The "Recent Items" tab under the file menu shows the correct file name, but it also comes up with the same error.

wes
I'm not quite enough of a network geek to say for sure, but my first inclination is to say it's possible. If you are mounting the network volume in a different way, the journal could be acting differently as well.

I've seen the Recently Used bug in Plotmaker 9 a lot. It was never present in Archicad 9 and is not present in AC10.
Tom Waltz