Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

MacBook 13", how does do with OpenGl?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I am interested on getting a MacBook 13" (MacTel), mainly interested on how it would act in 3D Window & OpenGl. I will not be using it for rendering but Modeling only. Anyone has thoughts on it? Matthew are you there with you 17"?!
Thanks,
Joseph
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
That machine will do medium-sized renderings just fine.

64Mg of video ram is the minimum for OpenGL.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
64Mg of video ram is the minimum for OpenGL.
Does it mean a 6000 SF, two story (3000 SF each floor) is not going to be jumpy when rotating in 3D? Considering being in ROSETTA.
Thanks,
Joseph
Dwight
Newcomer
The OpenGL challenge isn't so much the window content as the representation window size - with less video RAM, make a smaller window. Since you have the puny screen anyways, it shouldn't be a challenge.

On the lesser video RAM screens, the situation must be managed, and ArchiCAD 10 has more OpenGL options to minimise jerkiness:

-- feedback speed can now be limited, and representation distance can be controlled.

-- And, as always, you can reduce OpenGL aspects to reduce processor load - especially to turn off texture representation.

So, you might be right that your highly-detailed model might stress a 64 Mg RAM situation, but there are things to be done to make the cheap machine work better.

Its a minimum solution.... don't forget that if you spend more money, you not only get the proper video RAM, but the glowing keys, too. Ooo, baby.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
.............Its a minimum solution.... don't forget that if you spend more money, you not only get the proper video RAM, but the glowing keys, too. Ooo, baby.

Issue is not money but the portability & the SIZE issue, if I make it work in OpenGL/Rosetta I will be a happy camper. Any other helpful tips will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joseph
Dwight
Newcomer
I agree about the size. Just too bad we can't get the totally pro features in the tiny machine.

I have travelled this year to do my seminar series with a 12" Powerbook. It fits in an 8.5x11" portfolio sleeve. Totally disguised as a pad of paper.

That means almost no grief in a small pack and fits in ANY hotel deposit box.

Small is beautiful.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Watch out for the Intel GMA950 in the Macbooks and the mac Mini. It is OpenGL 1.4 only, not 1.5 compatible like ATI's cards in the old 12" Powerbook.

No Hardware Transform & Lighting. Apple wants you, as a "professional" to buy a MacBook Pro or an iMac or a tower. They have full OpenGL hardware. They want you to spend at least $1500.

See this thread for more info:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/517002539731/r/517002539731#51700253...