BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

OS 10.4.3, ...problems anyone?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I took my G5 into the hospital this morning.

It's not rendering. (Will do Open GL rendering.)

Naturally I forgot to run Disk First Aid and just went straight to the Emergency Room. Then it occurred to me that I'd just downloaded Apple's OS 10.4.3 update.

Anybody else having problems rendering after downloading 10.4.3? Anybody else rendering nicely under 10.4.3?

I'll know more in a few hours, but thought I'd ask the obvious question while waiting. At the Apple Store we checked ArchiTalk, ...nothing yet. Guess I'll have 'em test the hardware before I reinstall 10.4.2.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
I meant "sarcasm." Now my internal spell checker, at the bottom level, doesn't even work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Remember, others report fast renderings in 10.4.3.

Is there something in ArchiCAD itself, or in my Mac, that I should "uncheck"?

-Jay S.
Chazz
Enthusiast
Jay wrote:
Remember, others report fast renderings in 10.4.3
No one in this thread (probably no one on this list) is using your fancy new hardware. As I said, the issue is between the GPU drivers and the changes to Open GL handling in 10.4.3. Your situation is fairly unique.

Have you updated the drivers for your ATI card(s)? Have you tested rendering with each card? I assume you have one card driving one screen. That means if you move the rendering window to a different screen, the work is being done by the card driving that screen. Are you sure that NONE of the rendering window is spilling onto the other screen? And why in tarnation are you running OSX server?
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Anonymous
Not applicable
We're just using the G4 as a server, but not running server software. We only have two computer work stations in this office and both "send and receive changes" to the G4. This way we can work on current jobs when the other guy and his laptop are out of the office.

On my system the one graphics card runs both screens, 128 MB ram each, I've assumed. Hmmm. The card is new and came with the G5 itself. I've assumed they were in sync from the beginning.

(This fancy new hardware replaced that G4 "server" which I'd upgraded to 1GHz from 350MHz.)

I'll check Radeon website for driver updates. (I didn't know cards HAD drivers.) Wouldn't Apple inform us of a need to upgrade graphics cards with our OS upgrades, or just test our systems and upgrade 'em for us automatically? After all, the system came from Apple.

We didn't notice the slowdown immediately after upgrading to 10.4.3 but, then again, I'm not sure if we rendered anything at that time. We couldn't render because of the "Connection Errors" we kept getting in ArchiCAD and Plotmaker. (See the other thread.) Graphisoft helped us solve that one.

The Open GL 3D engine works fine. It's the formal rendering operation that's so slow. How they relate, I have no idea.

Thanks again for your input.
Learn and get certified!