Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Pen weight & Templates

Dennis Lee
Booster
Hi, I just got my hands on AC9. I've been through the training guide level 1 & 2, and have managed to grasp some of the basic concepts of the virtual building. I have also been reading this forum for a while, but can't seem to find a definitive answer on:

1) What is the best way to set up your pen weights ? - considering the AC9 library objects' predefined colors, as well as other common objects such as MSA detailer. Seems like MSA and MaxATS as well as default ArchiCAD all have different pen setups.

2) Related to the above question, which template / detailer should one start off using? Or am I expected to start off with blank ArchiCAD and build my own?

I'm very concerned about the plot quality, so I'd like to know what pen I should use to model everything before I do everything. I mean even when I'm drawing my first title block, I need to use some sort of "pens" to get this set up, right? Is there a "best practice" concerning this kind of stuff?
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
37 REPLIES 37
March_ Bruce
Enthusiast
You might want to check my post in ArchiCAD+ on pen weights - I fear there is no good answer - perhaps Henry Ford was right about black! 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable
You might think about keeping the first 10 pens similar to the archicad default pens so default settings in the library parts have a chance of looking correct. This is not a complete solution, but I have used a template that has these pens in the reverse order (1 thickest & 10 thinest) and I would not recommend this. I personally have about 10 pens I use as my main pens, a set of gray scale pens and a white pen to match each line weight. Don't touch pen 91 since this is the default used for white fills.
March_ Bruce
Enthusiast
In v4.1 I started using the full 'dynamic range' of ArchiCAD with pens 1-10 in increasing weight in black...

I would concur with Mike in that changing the thickness of pens affecting library parts (1-10) may create a lot of overhead work - unfortunately I never understood the logic of the defaults & have always wished for a larger default range than merely the 3 weights GS uses...

I assume pens 11-20 are now set for WYSIWYG users like me, for use in favourites & custom fills, parts, etc although again the decreasing thickness with increasing pen number defies my right brain logic?

Good luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dennis wrote:
1) What is the best way to set up your pen weights ? - considering the AC9 library objects' predefined colors, as well as other common objects such as MSA detailer. Seems like MSA and MaxATS as well as default ArchiCAD all have different pen setups.
The multiple pen sets in AC10 will relieve much of the headache of working with multiple sources like MSA and MaxATS, but in AC9 you will want to settle on a standard pen set that works for you. There have been quite a few discussions of this so a search is advisable.

I am a strong proponent of assigning pen numbers by function. That is, I generally use a specific pen for a specific purpose (this is an only and always proposition - the pen is always used for its specified function and only that pen is used for that function). For example I typically set up pen 1 to be the outline pen for cut elements (in plan as well as section views) and pen 2 for the section fill pen; pen 3 is the primary door & window pen; pen 4 is for floors in 2D & 3D and for walls in 3D; and so on.

The main advantage of this approach is that it is easy to remember what pen to use for what purpose and when the time comes to adjust your output it can be tweaked at the drawing level in PlotMaker (for now, in AC10 pen tables soon). This allows for variations due to differing needs for the same drawing. For example the section fill pen can be adjusted to just the right shade to poche a schematic design drawing, and the section outline pen can be thinned a little for 1:100 or fattened up a bit for 1:50.

Use of multiple pen settings for output also permits the easy use of greys, occasional spot color, and nicely colored site plans for presentations.

I have attached a PDF of one of my more typical pen tables (I have many clients and numerous variations). It may seem a bit cryptic in parts but should give you some idea of what I mean.
2) Related to the above question, which template / detailer should one start off using? Or am I expected to start off with blank ArchiCAD and build my own?
Use whatever template and/or detailer that seems most suited to your practice. You will inevitably be tweaking and adjusting it to your specific needs, but having a good starting point can save you a lot of head scratching.
Dennis Lee
Booster
Great info, guys. I appreciate all of your answers as I know it's a rather common sort of question. Matthew, your pdf is awesome! It gives me all kinds of insight as to what kind of control I CAN have eventually.
I know it'll take a while, but I'm sure I can get there. Thanks!
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Matthew, I bet you're excited about the pen descriptions in 10.
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Djordje
Ace
Mike wrote:
Don't touch pen 91 since this is the default used for white fills.
By the default pen sets in 10, not any more.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
James wrote:
Matthew, I bet you're excited about the pen descriptions in 10.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
Mike wrote:
Don't touch pen 91 since this is the default used for white fills.
By the default pen sets in 10, not any more.
Don't remind me!!! AAAAARRRRGGHH.....