cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Transparent elements in a 3D document with a transparency check box unchecked

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I have a problem in my model with 3D Document. I have never encountered this problem before. Some of the elements (walls, roofs, even load houses from "bimobject") are transparent, but:

1) All the surfaces (except glass) have zero values in transmittance and attenuation in the settings;

2) Transparency and hidden edge check box are both unchecked;

3) Layers are not wireframed in their settings.

And even element selection in 3D window is complicated, I have hard time selecting e.g. sandwich panels (designed with "wall" tool) - I almost always pick up the element behind that panel.

Does anybody have some ideas? Thank you in advance!
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
RIGOR wrote:
Yep, the setting of transparency in 3D window helped with 3D document, now 3D document looks correct.

OK, so now we know it is a material setting.

RIGOR wrote:
But interesting thing - by default AC template, simple shading is with transparency marked in check box and 3D document looks correct too, while on my template - 3D document is transparent

So I would suspect there is still an override of some kind in place.
Either GO or reno filter - make sure GO is set to 'No Override" and reno filter is not doing any overrides at all - just 'Show All'.

Or it could be the actual material properties - the attributes in your file may have transparency settings while the same attributes in the template don't.
You could use the Attribute Manager to bring the materials from the template into your file (overwrite by index number).
You may want to try this on a copy of your file just in case things really mess up.
Playing with Attribute Manager can create may problems if you don't know what you are doing.

Short of this it will be hard to determine what the difference is without seeing the actual two files (yours and the template).
If you are willing to share them on Dropbox or similar, I could try to have a look - but remember I am no expert.
You local GS support may be a better solution.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11