Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Wibu Key Policy

archislave
Enthusiast
My Wibu key has suddenly gone bad. It has caused me a day of not being able to work in Archicad and miss a deadline. Add to that the process of uninstalling and reinstalling Archicad. I am hoping that Graphisoft will abandon this archaic form of software protection.

An idea I had was to have Archicad check every three days or so through the internet to re-register the software protection automticaly and silently. This way you could take your notebook pc to Starbucks without fear of the wibu getting bumped or someone snatching it. Besides it is just plain ugly to see it sticking out of your computer - especially a new iMac G5!

Come on guys this is 1980's style protection! It is a real achilles heal and one negative for chosing archicad. There is always the posibility that you will be a day or two out of work even with Fed-ex shipping! Can we hope for change?

Archislave
Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
11 REPLIES 11
archislave
Enthusiast
Please don't defend these outdated usb protection methods. The ability to run Archicad a week without logging in to a server would protect against network outages. If you were at the end of your week running period and the network was down the updater/validater would sense that and allow you to keep working until it was cleared up.

Archicad could ship with a key - just in case you were going to be on a deserted island for longer than a week!

I think Revit validates a computer with some encrypted file and does not have to be changed until you want to use your licence on another computer. It is really like the way iTunes can authorize up to five computers to play music bought from their music store. If the stingy record companies can accept software encryption - then surely Graphisoft can
Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
Anonymous
Not applicable
archislave wrote:
I think Revit validates a computer with some encrypted file and does not have to be changed until you want to use your licence on another computer. It is really like the way iTunes can authorize up to five computers to play music bought from their music store. If the stingy record companies can accept software encryption - then surely Graphisoft can
My God. THis is even worse
No copy protection is perftect .
My main question is what do they need a copy protection if it can be cracked.
I did not buy AC because it was protected and i could not find an illegal copy.

So i cannot understand why a stolen (proven or lost dongle) cannot be replaced for a small fee.