Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

macOS: "The Application Archicad 27 can't be opened" - reboot fixes it

Karl Ottenstein

Anyone else seeing this with AC 27 (USA) Apple Silicon on macOS Ventura?...

I'll use AC  without issue, quit, and then the next time I go to launch it (typically the next day), I get this error pop-up:

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 4.43.33 PM.png

Only rebooting my Mac will let Archicad start normally again.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
7 REPLIES 7
mthd
Ace

Hi Karl, No problem with AC27 Aus.

AC8.1 - AC27 AC28TP ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Sequoia
runxel
Legend

Oh lovely, finally I'm not the only one any more! (terribly sorry for you tho, Karl). Reported this issue in this very forum also a couple of times.

I've had this problem since always on Mac. Talked hours with the support about this. It was always belittled and nothing was reached. At some point they finally got back to me saying that the devs won't fix it for past versions because there not enough reports on this, but it would be working in 26 and 27 with Macs running Ventura or later (I was on Monterey at that time).

Took the leap of faith and for me it was gone under Ventura (13.6.1 for me right now) finally.

Sad to see that it still isn't really fixed. Let's hope that your voice added here will help to convince them that this a very bad thing in dire need of fixing.

For everybody seeing this issue: It can't be fixed on your side, you can only try to make a new profile (on there it started to work again normally for me too).

The other workaround is to rightclick the app in the Finder and choose "Show contents", then navigating to the executable .app by hand. That works.

Or reboot. Another way of "fixing".

Btw I found that going into sleep (like closing your macbook) could be one of the culprits; after that I always had this problem.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
DGSketcher
Legend

On the issue of macOS sleeping, I tend to use it a lot & I also have macOS set to auto update. I think occasionally un-notified background updates do destabilise the OS and cause problems in AC and other apps until you reboot. I'm just saying that some temporary stability problems may not all be on GS.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Karl Ottenstein

Thanks, guys.  This is the first time I've ever had any application not launch on a Mac, updates or not.

@runxel  Sorry I missed your earlier reports; thought this was something new with Apple Silicon/27.    Did tech support provide you with a DEF defect number?   It sounds like - from this earlier thread - that your local support never reported to Budapest HQ so a DEF might not have been assigned?

I should have searched... found this thread from earlier in the year... that I even responded to but forgot about...

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Installation-update/The-application-ARCHICAD-26-app-can-t-be-ope...

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Yeah don't worry @Karl Ottenstein!

The report is so crude, absurd and mysterious that it's very easy to overlook.

No, they never assigned a DEF publicly for that. Since GS has this (in some ways very stupid) rule that bugs/errors need to be reproducible by local support they where very reluctant to escalate it.

I guess after pestering them enough they finally did, that's how I got to know that apparently it was fixed. Which does not seem to be case after all now.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
rdo
Contributor

I have the similar problem on both my Moackbook proM2 and M3 max. Only rebooting works.

I haven't had this issue. Sorry, I know that doesn't help. No-one in the office has had this issue either as far as I am aware. We have a mix of machines and OS's as below all running Archicad 27.2.0 UKI:

iMac Intel macOS Ventura 13.6.4

iMac M2 macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

MacMini M1 and M2 macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

MacBook Pro Intel macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

MacBook Pro M1 Max macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.2 | Archicad 28 TP Apple Silicon
macOS Sequoia (15)