BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

mbp memory running both platforms?

Erika Epstein
Booster
I just purchased a MBP and will be running it in both mac and windows.

1. How much memory do you need to be running both platforms simultaneously? I am looking at VM Fusion or parallels.

2. How do you deal with viruses? I understand it is much less of a problem on the mac, but I will be using both platforms. On pc I have norton antivirus. They have a product that protects both platforms on these machines. Has anyone had any experience with this they would share?

3. Any other tips?

Thanks,
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have 2GB on my MBP and it is barely sufficient for running two OSs at once. You can dedicate 1GB each and it runs ok but not great. I recommend maxing out at 4GB. It's only $95 for a 4GB kit from Crucial.

I strongly recommend VMware over Parallels. It is much more robust and versatile. Parallels does have an edge in performance from what I've seen, but it also hosed one of my Boot Camp partitions (it seems to be incompatible with more than one) causing the loss of an expensive software license (long story).

The other great thing about running Windows in VM is that it becomes portable and disposable. You can carry a VM around in an external drive and run it on any Mac with VMware, and it is easier to erase and reinstall a VM than a Boot Camp partition and much easier than a reinstall on a Windows machine. (It's also simple to copy and backup the VM.)

For viruses I've been using Avast and so far so good. I also use AdAware since it blocks some things that the virus guys don't. My old ThinkPad was infected by some malicious AdWare (or whatever it's called) and I had to do a low level reformat (complete overwrite/erase with random data) to get rid of it. I avoid Norton like the Plague. It used to be good back in the early 90's (before Peter Norton sold it to Symantec) but since then I have seen too many problems with it.

Another anti-virus trick is to just do all your internet access on the Mac side. I do this with some of my VMs since it is easier than setting up all the stuff. Just set the domain name servers in the TCP/IP properties to some arbitrary address (I've been using 11.11.11.11). I'm no IP guru so I'm not sure that this is totally secure but it does seem to block the internet for the VM.

If you really want to lock down the VM there is a network setting in VWware called "Host Only" which limits the VM to connecting with the MacOS in the same machine. This is fine if you don't need network or server access for the VM.
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I agree. Definetely go for Fusion over Parallels. Fusion is a very solid product and is backed by VMware's vast amount of expereince with virtualization, although fusion doesn't compare to Workstation, it's the best you can get for OSX.
Also, make sure not to go anywhere near Norton AV. the only one that doesn't use insane amounts of memory is the coroporate edition, which may be overkill. I usually recommend NOD32. it's very fast and doesn't use much resources, but if you want something a bit free-er, then AntiVir is a good 'un.
As for RAM, with current prices, there's not really any reason to not have 4Gb.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Erika Epstein
Booster
Thank you both, that is just what I was looking for.
I am not familiar with Norton AV. I was looking at their product
Norton Dual Protection http://www.symantec.com/norton/macintosh/antivirus-dual-protection
It's the only one I've heard of, not to say there aren't others. I am used to Norton and it is one product v. two; one for each platform.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
I am used to Norton and it is one product v. two; one for each platform.
That would be a good idea, except that you don't need virus protection for OSX, just Windows. If you really feel the need to scan your OSX partition for viruses, then grab the excellent ClamXav to do it.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Eduardo Rolon
henrypootel wrote:
ClamXav to do it.
…and remember FREE!!, donations accepted.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Erika Epstein
Booster
ejrolon wrote:
henrypootel wrote:
ClamXav to do it.
…and remember FREE!!, donations accepted.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Learn and get certified!