Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

mysterious file size reduction

Anonymous
Not applicable
the file size of the project I am working on goes from 52mb to 36mb. I left the publisher publishing last night...come in this morning and ArchiCAD is not responding. So I'm forced to close thru task manager. I reopen ArchiCAD with a backup of that file...they are/were identical...anyhow I'm prompted to open the crashed file. I do so...everything looks good...I save and go on to do a few hours work and save again....It is then I see the difference in file size. Any ideas? I can't find anything different...YET!! Did the smaller file lose something important?? Or did the bigger file lose something unneeded?? I'm proceeding with the bigger file. Bigger is better....yes?:)

Thanks in advance, Cary

ArchiCAD 11 build 1114 usa full
windows XPsp2
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
One idea:
Data in Sections/Elevations can make such a difference. For example, if you have several complex Sections and these are generated, that can be many megabytes of data. If you later regenerate those Section/Elevations with a different Layer Combination so the model data in them are less, that can give you a much smaller file size.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lazo that is a good idea!!!! I had futzed around with section layers recently. It is still curious that 2 "identical" files would be so radically different in file size different after a crash.

What does the compress option do in the file save as dialog box do? I tried it after this event on the BIG file and it did not change the file size.
Perhaps we need a crash button instead

Thanks Cary

ArchiCAD 11 build 1114 usa full
windows XPsp2
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The Section/Elevation/Interior Elevation etc. windows contain content generated from the model. This adds to the size of the Project File.
The size of the model data is of course dependent upon the amount of model data to be generated based on what is visible per Layer Settings.
You can generate a Section with all Layers hidden. In that case there will be no model data generated in the Section and it will not add to the Project File size.
The Compress button is supposed to decrease the size of the Project File dramatically. I think it is a good idea to leave it ON.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laslzo...sorry for misspelling your name. Thanks for the info.

Cary
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You are welcome.
And you misspelled it again.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laszlo...when are you guys going to give me a dyslexia check button?????

Cheers