Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

trimming roof planes

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am learning archicad, and am trying to build/manipulate the roof as shown in the sketch in the attached pdf. The tricky thing is there are two different pitches interacting: 6:12 and 8:12. In addition, the plate heights vary (15'3", 9'1", and 11'1"). How does one find the intersection of the roofs to trim the roof planes at the valleys and ridges? I am able to establish all of my roof planes and place them at their appropriate heights, but then get stuck with trying to find their intersections. I can eyeball in 3-d where they are, but I want to do it accurately.
On this note, Joe Holt posted a question about stories, and where they start and stop, and what to include. Continuing this theme, if I were to put this roof on a new story, where would it be recommended that the story start and stop, since there are varying roof plates and roof heights? Thanks for your help.
-Marc
www.holtdesignstudios.com
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
marcholt wrote:
... but then get stuck with trying to find their intersections. I can eyeball in 3-d where they are, but I want to do it accurately.
Select One Roof Edge and then, ctrl-click the edge of the other roof.

Also See this Link

marcholt wrote:
On this note, Joe Holt posted a question about stories, and where they start and stop, and what to include. Continuing this theme, if I were to put this roof on a new story, where would it be recommended that the story start and stop, since there are varying roof plates and roof heights? Thanks for your help.
-Marc
www.holtdesignstudios.com
I think there are a few different "schools-of-thought" on this one. I am of the school that places roofs on the story that the Bearing walls are on. If the roof seat cut of the roof is 9'-0" above that story height then that is where it is placed, likewise for the other roofs. No point in having a separate story (IMO) for the roofs.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help on cutting the roofs! I thought it was something simple.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jay wrote:

I think there are a few different "schools-of-thought" on this one. I am of the school that places roofs on the story that the Bearing walls are on. If the roof seat cut of the roof is 9'-0" above that story height then that is where it is placed, likewise for the other roofs. No point in having a separate story (IMO) for the roofs.
Not necessarily a "school", but rather something I have tried recently, with reasonable results, is to have a roof storey at the same elevation as the aforementioned bearing walls (i.e. 0' elevation above top floor) then roof can still have relevant height setout (e.g. 9'), and you can add miscellaneous bits of wall such as gables, odd returns and the like, and they don't display on the floor plan below. This also means that all walls on the top storey can stop at the 9' height and you don't have to worry about extending them and then trimming to roof / SEOing.

Just a thought.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art, I do often use the Story above to contain the occasional "odd" return or a gable if it has a different material Spec (sometime the Wall Accessory works for showing the differing gable end material). Often the gables contain windows so actually having the Main wall extend past the 9' height is nessesary. I do think of doing as you say though, but I have not seen the advantage yet.