Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

3D error with simple object - HELP

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all

I am trying to create a simple object that replicates a metal panel for use on the exterior of a building. The panel is to have numerous perforations and is to be approx 20mm thick.

I have created this by using a slab and by using a walls, but both will not let me create the elevations / 3D view.

Any tips on creating a simple 3D object that looks like a sheet of metal with holes in it???

Many thanks

Tom
2 REPLIES 2
Andy Thomson
Advisor
You could fake it with a material, that has the 'circles' fill applied to it (I think this is a standard out-of-the-box fill that allows good tweaking, diamond-like or aligned array), and use a simple alpha-channeled object with circular holes matching your pattern. That way it will render, cast little, circular shadows, and show correctly in elevation, without grinding your machine to a halt. If there is a ton of it however (metal panel) you may consider losing the circle display for a full elevation (linework) view ...
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Frank Beister
Mentor
The material trick with alpha-channel for transparency will do it. Not for s/e, Photorealistic only, for shure, but all other increases 3d model to much.

It is possible to create a real 3D plane with holes, but doing something else than rectangular forms lead to trouble or more decreasing performance.

There are three ways to drill holes into a plane:
- inside the PRISM-command as hole definitions
- with CUTPOLYs
- with SEO operations

All time consuming in built up.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm