Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Any clean way to import Sketchup object into AC?!?!?!?

rm
Advisor
This is somewhat related to the request to have a direct connect with Google 3D warehouse.

I needed to model an office that the client uses Macs in their office. THEY, the client knows their are a ton of accurate models of equipment in the Google 3D warehouse. The client also wants accurate office equipment represented in the AC model.

Since we DO NOT have a direct link from Google 3D Warehouse into AC 12 or 11 on the Mac, I thought I could export the models from Sketchup into .3ds files and import them into AC......WRONG.

So then I tried to export the models from Sketchup into DWG 2004 ( the latest ) and open the object in AC. Then I saved the same DWG object as a GDL object. I didnt mess with any GDL code or scripts.

First problem I noticed is the linework of the object placed in the plan looked horrible. Then pulling up the 3D view I noticed I could not set the "z" elevation of the object as it had no real connection to the object in real space - see the attached screenshot -. Last problem I noticed is the object size was very large (788 KB).

So, is there any way for us to import "clean" objects from Sketchup to AC that allows the object to look correct in plan and model.

I know I am sounding like a broken record on this, but there are a TON of great, free objects out there that we should all have access to. Im hoping I am missing something that allows us to import the models in the manner I am describing. But if not, GS NEEDS to make this a PRIORITY - YESTERDAY!!!!!

Thanks

DWG MODEL IMPORT.jpg
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
12 REPLIES 12
rm
Advisor
Eduardo,

Thank you for the clarification. I will try your tips. I did try to find the .3ds import add-on that Thomas spoke of as well. It is not on the AC 12 install disk for some reason. I don't know where to find it.

Your instructions have illustrated something important, GS needs to get a direct connect plugin for these parts.

Thanks again!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Eduardo Rolon
3Ds In is under the help menu ->goodies.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

rm
Advisor
Eduardo,

Thanks I figured it out. .3ds is useless in my opinion. It changes the scale of the object, and it changes all the materials to the same material. At least the DWG maintains some material definition even though you cant change them.

Scale, accuracy, material definitions are ALL important when you use these objects in renderings.
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26