Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Archicad 28 global library sounds very promising

mthd
Ace

Reading the roadmap about what is coming soon, I hadn’t noticed that Archicad 28 will have a have a full global library to select parts from. 

This is a very good idea since I have read many posts where a library part that is available in one region is not in another. This will solve some problems for many users including me who doesn’t use GDL yet.

What do others think about this change ?

Edited extra info:

AC8.1 - AC27 AC28TP ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Sequoia
14 REPLIES 14

'Coming soon' means GS are actively working on it.

Sometimes they may arrive in the next update for the current version, and other times not until the next version.

Even then there is no absolute guarantee that it will be the next version, because if something unforeseen happens in testing, it may be held back - that is unlikely to happen though.

It is a pretty safe bet to say 'coming soon' will be in the next version.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

👌

Miha_M
Advisor

Global SSA Database - Graphisoft Community

I had that wish some time ago. Maybe that's the first step towards language independent archicad, which is a real pain now if you want to work across different (localisation) borders while using the archicad classification system, which every localisation version has in it's own translated version. 

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Sam_at_SDA
Participant

hi All, 
It seems that Archicad 28 is set to have the new global library as part of its release.  It looks promising as it means no more migration of old library versions. 
We have several projects that are years in the making.  The big question for me is what happens when I library part that we have been using is updated?  Does it retain all its properties?  Do we need to save a copy of the old library part as a record? 

Sam

I assume you are not talking about projects that span 26/27 and into 28/29.

There will be no migration of objects from 27 to 28, so just keep using the older libraries.

From 28 on there still will be migration - you just won't notice it because there are no version numbers in the object names (I am still not convinced this is a good idea).

But if it is all done well, any new amended objects (29) will still have all of the same functionality as the older ones (28), just as it has happened in the past.

Should a new object need a complete re-write and is no longer compatible with the older object parameters, my understanding is you will not notice that either.

It will simply keep using the older (obsolete) object (the same as happens until now) but you won't notice because there is no version number as reference.

The new advanced object I assume will have a different name (and be a different object with a new GUID).

I am not sure as we haven't got that far yet, but I am suspecting we will start getting a few 'Dishwasher 01' and 'Dishwasher 02' objects, as I can't imaging you can have an old obsolete object with the same name as a new improved object.

That is why i still like the idea of having the version number in the object name.

Again, my understanding is that from 28 onwards, all old (obsolete) objects will still be contained in the current library, so there will be no need to actually load any migration libraries any more.

Exactly how it will work we will just have to wait and se in a few versions time.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11