Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Archicad Trees

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I need some advice on the best way to place trees in Archicad. I have usually been using the 3D "Tree Model Detailed 18" as I like the tree to look realistic when I'm exploring the model in 3D. I really hate how the billboard trees only face one direction and have no thickness when viewed side on.

When using the 3D "Tree Model Detailed 18" I can select a simple 2D symbol (line and fill) in plan which is great, but unfortunately there is no option for a similar simple 2D symbol for views in elevation. It will only display as the 3D model in elevation, which is a bit messy as all the leaves are drawn with individual lines. This forces me to select one of the billboard tree objects such as "Deciduous Trees 18", change its view type to 'Symbolic Side View' and place it in the elevations and sections. I have to do this for every single plant and tree in the project, and put them on a separate layer so that I can turn off all the 3D trees which I use for plan and the 3D model. Obviously this is very inefficient.

So I have tried using the billboard trees such as "Deciduous Trees 18", as I assumed I would be able view the tree correctly in plan and elevation as a simple symbolic view, and just put up with the billboards in 3D. However, if placed in plan, it doesn't seem to show in elevation at all. Do I really have to place every tree in plan and elevation?

I've been putting up with this for a while but surely I'm missing something. I'm very interested to know how other users deal with trees efficiently. I basically just want the tree to appear as realistic as possible in the 3D window, and to appear as a simple symbolic object of lines and fills in 3D.

Thanks, Jake
3 REPLIES 3
I use the trees from the garden works library. Download it from bim components
Anonymous
Not applicable
SenecaDesignLLC,

I downloaded the Garden Works Library, however the trees look really poor in 3D (worse than the Archicad trees) and they still do not have an option to show a symbolic tree in elevation, it is just the 3D model in elevation
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, I just realised the Garden Works trees use Images on each of the polygons which make them look great in 3D. In the 3D preview they looked very ordinary.

However I still have the issue that I can't represent them as a simple symbolic outline of the tree in elevation as I can in plan. Any ideas?

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!