Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Concrete floor deck

Anonymous
Not applicable
In using the Roof Accessory tool to generate a concrete floor slab that has a unique shape.....has anyone been able to SEO the deck from the concrete 'roof' so that in section it appears properly? Right now the SEO doesn't want to work (particulary for the holes that I have in the concrete slab)

The corrugated deck tool within the steel library doesn't allow for unique shapes (it's only rectangular )
14 REPLIES 14
__archiben
Booster
Jason wrote:
In using the Roof Accessory tool to generate a concrete floor slab that has a unique shape.....has anyone been able to SEO the deck from the concrete 'roof' so that in section it appears properly? Right now the SEO doesn't want to work (particulary for the holes that I have in the concrete slab)
i know what you're trying to achieve . . . and because no-one has yet written a slab accessory that emulates crinkly-tin permanent formwork i can understand why you're having to fool around with roofs/roof accessories and such workarounds. i'm just not sure which combination of objects and tools you think will let you achieve it . . .
The corrugated deck tool within the steel library doesn't allow for unique shapes (it's only rectangular )
are you talking about the metal cladding profiles in the 'claddings' library folder? if so they aren't applied as accessory elements and therefore cannot automatically inherit the properties (size and shape for example) of other elements. if you have a completely different steel library there, please share!

a profiled permanent formwork slab accessory is something that i've often hoped for . . . and unfortunately my GDL skills are so dire that there is no chance of me producing one myself . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
The Roof Accessory slab works the best far what I'm doing, but it doesn't allow me to boolean down the concrete that 'pokes' below the corrugate fluting of the deck. I surprised that this tool hasn't been better implimented into Archicad since around 90% of commercial buildings in North America are built with this metal deck/concrete fill method.
__archiben
Booster
Jason wrote:
The Roof Accessory slab works the best far what I'm doing, but it doesn't allow me to boolean down the concrete that 'pokes' below the corrugate fluting of the deck.
i reported a bug a little while ago that concerned accessory elements and boolean operations: if i recall correctly it was something to do with the target and operator being co-planar and parallel to the 'subtraction direction'. try pulling the edges of your accessory out beyond the slab edge by a few mm . . . any good?
I surprised that this tool hasn't been better implimented into Archicad since around 90% of commercial buildings in North America are built with this metal deck/concrete fill method.
i'm with you . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nope...didn't allow the boolean operation. Thanks for the input though

The ideal would be to have a metal deck tool with concrete topping (that could be turned off it wanted) that functions like the roof tool (so that it can be sloped if desired)
__archiben
Booster
Jason wrote:
Nope...didn't allow the boolean operation. Thanks for the input though
what about in it's height plane . . . try raising or lowering the accessory slightly . . ? this is the feedback i received from the developers regarding my issue, but it also explains a little more about the technical workings of an SEO and why they might fail:
GS wrote:
The two Foundation Builder elements have planes with similar coordinates. When the SEO is applied to these elements and the mesh then self-tangent bodies are created. There is a regularization algorithm which only steps into action only when such situation occurs. This time the regularization algorithm fails, it is unable to eliminate the self-tangent bodies and thus the SEO operation cannot be performed.

The workaround is to move these elements relative to each other so that they have no planes with identical coordinates. In this particular case one of the Foundation Builder element has an L shape, which means that the smaller Foundation Builder Element should be moved a tiny bit in both x and y direction. The amount of the movement can be very small, important is that there is a movement. (#56756)
Jason wrote:
The ideal would be to have a metal deck tool with concrete topping (that could be turned off it wanted) that functions like the roof tool (so that it can be sloped if desired)
no - the ideal would be true parametric assemblies: kind of like accessory elements but on steroids . . . do a search - it's been talked about on this forum on several occasions . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
I looked at the 3D scripts for the roof surfacer macro
that is called by the roof surfacer library part and
found that, though the EXTRUDE command is used,
the code makes a surface and not a solid.
This is undoubtedly to reduce the polygon count
but it also causes the object to be unable to
participate in an SEO as an operator.

One could make a very large complex profile beam
with its upper surface undulating like corrugated decking
and use it to cut the under side of a slab or roof using SEO.
Peter Devlin
__archiben
Booster
Peter wrote:
... the code makes a surface and not a solid.
ah. that'll be it then.
One could make a very large complex profile beam with its upper surface undulating like corrugated decking and use it to cut the under side of a slab or roof using SEO.
in which case, you would probably make the entire floor make-up as a complex beam profile: the key is in having the section generate well in my opinion, (tin deck thickness included!), rather than for illustrative purposes . . .

how easy is it to turn an extruded surface into a solid peter? does it require generating a return path offset to the original 'polyline'? and because this is an accessory object, i would imagine a whole host of FOR/NEXT loops and hoops to jump through . . . argh!

ben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Ben,
I don't think you could make the floor itself a complex profile beam
because the only floor you could make would be a floor as wide
as the complex profile and rectangular in shape unless the profile
width was small and you put a bunch of them together to form
a floor.

The EXTRUDE command is a solid and in this context it would
not be hard to make the "trapezoid sheet" into a solid but
changing the code for the "corrugated sheet" to make it a solid
is a bit daunting. If you open the macro called "corrugated sheet.gsm"
you will see what I mean.

Peter Devlin
__archiben
Booster
If you open the macro called "corrugated sheet.gsm" you will see what I mean.
logically working through the macro it seems that the FOR/NEXT loops simply need running in reverse after a dropping down by the thickness of the sheet?

(i inadvertently deleted this post, so am trying to reconstruct it so that it makes sense for the next one! oops!)

i am waaaay out of my depth here!!!!

ben
b e n f r o s t