Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Cranky stair tool -using selections

Tom Krowka
Booster
Am trying to create a stair using the tool "create stair from selections" in the Design Menu. Have read the instructions in the help menu, and as far as I know am doing everything correctly.

Have a fill with perimeter line and a walking line (made of lines not a polyline although have tried it both ways) that does touch both fill boundaries.

I keep getting an error message. See the attached JPG. Any idea what might be going wrong here? Seems pretty easy; probably some trick or selection order I am missing.

Can't seem to get any other stair layout in the regular AC stair tool to be able to create this stair either. Any suggestions? I hate to have to model a bunch of individual landings and separate flights of stairs.

Thanks Tom

stair tool.JPG
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
5 REPLIES 5
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Tom:

I got it to work here using a fill and the Chained Geometry option of the Line Tool, but the treads do not break as shown in your screen shot.

David
Stair_from_fill_and_lines.png
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
I have yet to add walking lines and still need to fix a few bugs but i created that shape with my stair object in about 5 minutes
stairs.jpg
Tom Krowka
Booster
Will try it with the chained line. Never have had a reason to use it.

Also read in the help menu that the location of the angle in the walking line will create a landing. Am going to try to change the line layout.

Although that stair layout you generated will work....have to check the dimensions of the treads at the winders to make sure they meet
code.

Seneca....you can make a million dollars if you get that stair and railing maker to work together.
Tom
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom wrote:
Will try it with the chained line. Never have had a reason to use it.

Also read in the help menu that the location of the angle in the walking line will create a landing. Am going to try to change the line layout.

Although that stair layout you generated will work....have to check the dimensions of the treads at the winders to make sure they meet
code.

Seneca....you can make a million dollars if you get that stair and railing maker to work together.
Tom
oh its already happening. just have to rewrite the stairs one more time to have them work the way i want. if you cant get the stairs to work then pm me and ill let you test the stair, ill even add the walking line for you.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Stair layout changed a bit....am able to generate something close, but can't change the rise or run of the stair to get it just right. Are the controls in the custom stair locked somehow. Changing the rise will change the overall height. If I lock the height and change the rise, it gives me an error message even though the math is correct.

Grrrrrr.
stair layout 2.JPG
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com