Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Creating A Fill That Will Show Up In Schedules

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,
So, as we all know, if you place a fill in an elevation or section and try to get it to show up on a schedule it won't (arg!).

So, to get around this, I have been trying to find/create a gdl object that acts like a fill ( the 2 most desired abilities being: easy to add new points and change color). Reason being is that the object will show up on a schedule.

Any suggestions? Is this possible?

Thanks!
ben
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly
Schedules don't pick up anything from elevations or sections.
So the object will have to be placed in the floor plan.

One work around would be to draw the fills in the elevation and then copy them to the floor plan (off to the side where they won't be seen or in a hidden layer or a different storey).
Then you can shedule them.

You can schedule the fill name and area/perimeter but you can't schedule any pen colours used.
Nor can you show a sample of the fill in the schedule.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Frank Beister
Mentor
This should be possibel, if you, as Barry suggests, place the object in floor plan and edit the boundary in s/e window.

Then you can display in floor plan e.g. a line and depending on GLOB_CONTEXT show in shedules a projection PROJECT2 4,270,2 of the s/e view.

Theoretical. 😉
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Barry wrote:
One work around would be to draw the fills in the elevation and then copy them to the floor plan (off to the side where they won't be seen or in a hidden layer or a different storey).
Then you can shedule them.
Or place the Elevation as a Trace Reference on the Floor Plan and create the fills there, if the fills are just for the schedule and don't need to be shown on the Elevation.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erika Epstein
Booster
I can't help wondering what you are using the fills for?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Barry Kelly
Ben,
Here is an object you might find useful.
It is something I knocked up to do wall tiles in 3D in any shape area - not just rectangular.
It is based on the Free Form Window by Petri Leskinen that can be found in the object depository in this forum.
So all credit to Petri for doing all the hard work.

It is not a fill as such but a prism that can be stretched into any shape.
The corner hotspots simply move but the middle hotspots create new corners when dragged.
You can set what ever material you want so you should be able to schedule this parameter.
The only thing is it won't give you the area or perimeter.
The surface area in the schedule is area of front and back as well as the side thickness.
I guess you could set the thickness to zero and then divide by 2.
A mathmeatical genius could probably work out a formula for the area based on any given co-ordinates - but that genius is definitely not me.

You can also show a 3D front view in the schedule.

Anyway it may be a usefule object for other things (such as tiling which is what I use it for).

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Frank Beister
Mentor
The genius is Paul Bourke:

paulbourke.net/geometry/polyarea/

And the code is
!------- calculate polygon area
nfc=vardim1(frame_contour)
IF nfc>2 THEN
	calcA=0
	FOR i=1 to nfc-1
		IF i=nfc THEN j=1 else j=i+1
		calcA = calcA + (frame_contour[_X]*frame_contour[_Y] - frame_contour[_X]*frame_contour[_Y]) / 2
		NEXT i
	PARAMETERS calcA=calcA
	ENDIF
Not tested so much, but should work for all non intersecting polygons without holes.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the input guys! And Barry, thanks for sharing that model. I am wanting to do this for exterior wall finish takeoffs. My builder wants me to graphically show on the elevations, the areas that are being used to calculate the square footages of siding or brick etc.

These will be shown on a detail layout that has 4 small pictures of each elevation, with their cooresponding material takeoff/schedule below.

I went ahead and did this using a customized graphical element list, and although it is not nearly as elegant or simple as a schedule, it is working.

Any ideas for how to better accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
ben
Barry Kelly
F. wrote:
The genius is Paul Bourke:

paulbourke.net/geometry/polyarea/
Awesome.
Thank you Frank and Paul.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry,

Thanks for sharing your amended object from Petri Leskinen.
Excellent. Great possibilities.

Frank,
The same for you, to have done the GDL translation about area calculation from Paul Bourke.

You did my day.