Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Creating Objects with customizable parameters

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello fellow archicaders,

I have a question, I am looking into creating customizable objects for archicad.

You know how when you add a bolt you can adjust the length of the bolt, how wide the nut and washer is?

How do you make an object with some defined parameters that can be edited? Or can someone point me towards a resource that would detail how?
7 REPLIES 7
vistasp
Advisor
To make parametric objects, you have to learn some coding in GDL. If you've ever used BASIC, you should be right at home.

The old favourite that many of us first learned from was the GDL Cookbook.

Many things have changed in GDL since the cookbook was written but it still gives you a great introduction.

The new GDL Centre on the GS website also has a lot of information for you to explore.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you so much!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you know if it's possible to create a parametric object from a collection of complex profiles?

Like if I were to build a window or door using some already stored complex profiles, could I use GDl to make the width and height parametric?

Thanks!
Ruben V
Advocate
Have you looked at the (UK) Library Part Maker?
This should be helpful and probably will work on any localised Archicad...

Also discussed here.
(òÓ,)_\,,/
www.studiov2.be
Archicad 26/27 + Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM
>>> Read my book!<<<
Anonymous
Not applicable
That might be what I'm look for! thanks for the heads up about library part maker!
Ruben V
Advocate
You're welcome!

Have you tested it yet - any useful feedback?
(òÓ,)_\,,/
www.studiov2.be
Archicad 26/27 + Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM
>>> Read my book!<<<
JaseBee
Advocate
GDL Centre (the new interface is much easier to navigate) coupled with this site has taught me quite a bit on object creation.

Beware the rabbit hole is quite deep though.

If you do get into it I recommend getting an external editor that highlights syntax, I use sublime.

With regards to your manipulation of complex profiles question, I haven't come across a way to reference them in GDL (outside of the name data using a label) but there is limited functionality to stretch widths and heights within archicad.

In the complex Profile Palette there are the horizontal & vertical stretch checkboxes, they add lines to your profile that dictate the portion of it that will stretch. It's somewhat limited but could be a quick solution for you.

Also I think from memory they can only expand, so you have to draw your profile at the minimum size.

Good luck!
AC 24 5004 AUS
iMac OSX (10.13.6) 4.2ghz i7
8gb ram/8gb vram