Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Dashed Lines and Bending Tubes

LGreen
Booster
Hi all. Just a few quick GDL questions.

1: Dashed Lines in 3D.
I'm trying to create a dashed box to use in 3D to show objects that are removed for clarity etc. Is there a way to create a dashed line in 3D or do I need to resort to creating a series of small super thin slabs?

2: Bending Tubes
My next issue is creating a series of grab rails which bend along all three axis.
Is there a command similar to TUBE that allows the shape to follow a curve using status codes, rather than approximating a curve with things like radius*cos(45)? Alternatively is there a way to remove the contour around the Elbow / Cylinder command. Using these ends up with lines at each join which don't look pretty in elevations.
Lachlan Green | Architect | Drafter
AusBuild
AC23 & 25 | Windows 10 | Intel 11Gen Core i7 | 2.5GHz | 32GB RAM | Nvidia T1200
1 REPLY 1
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
LGreen wrote:
1: Dashed Lines in 3D.
I'm trying to create a dashed box to use in 3D to show objects that are removed for clarity etc. Is there a way to create a dashed line in 3D or do I need to resort to creating a series of small super thin slabs?
There is no integrated dashed line command. This has been done by scripting a series of Lin_ commands with spaces between them to create the appearance of a dashed line in 3D.
LGreen wrote:
2: Bending Tubes
My next issue is creating a series of grab rails which bend along all three axis.
Is there a command similar to TUBE that allows the shape to follow a curve using status codes, rather than approximating a curve with things like radius*cos(45)? Alternatively is there a way to remove the contour around the Elbow / Cylinder command. Using these ends up with lines at each join which don't look pretty in elevations.
You will need to use a command that has a Status Code for each segment to remove the lines, such as Prism_ for the cylinder. The elbow is trickier, maybe use Revolve. If there are many of these, write each basic shape as a macro, then call these macros to create the object, so the code is written once but called many times.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!