Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Detail Library

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I am still new to ArchiCAD and with my new job, but the way they have been doing details isn't as efficient as I am sure it could be.

I am coming from Revit to ArchiCAD and there are a few features in Revit I really liked an wish to implement into my new job and ArchiCAD.

Its just I don't know if it is possible or how to do it.

Let me try to explain what I wish to accomplish:

What I would like to create is a Detail Library, where U save all your details on to a central file where you can then pick an choose the details you need for the project you are working on from a list rather then coping one by one. I would like it that I could select all the details I need an it imports them all to my job and on their own (as a Independent detail) with it retaining its own detail name that it was under in the Detail Library file. Just like a Hotlink BUT the detail can be amended to suit the project.

Is this possible in ArhiCAD?

Thank you in advance.
17 REPLIES 17
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Detail cataloging can be made very simple with a good template set up.

What I have shown below is the end result of that. The first tutorial is about setting up a separate detail project and publishing a PDF for users to browse through as a reference, as well as corresponding module files. These modules can be dragged and dropped into any project. From there there can be edited seperately to suit the project without affecting the original. Alternatively you could create a new detail in the detail project to keep for future projects, and republish the catalog and module files:

http://www.screenr.com/z1y

The next tutorial shows how you can easily look up the catalog and find the respective module of the detail you need. You can simply drag and drop it into your project.

http://www.screenr.com/91y

I have just taken it a step further by having pre-linked views and layouts set up to further expedite the documentation process. You don't need to go to that level just yet as it does take a lot of consideration especially when it comes to attribute management.

I hope these help you. I am currently in Auckland. If you need any assistance in-person or remotely just PM me.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow, Thank you guys this really helps give me ideas how to possible set up our new way to do our libraries.

Also Link, those tutorials look good, will watch them some time today, and if have any questions will definitely look you up

In all honesty I liked the way Revit did external details an was kinda hoping ArchiCAD had something similar but these methods works as well.

Once again thank you for your help, I will post any hurdles I come across in my endeavour to set up our detail library
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Sure thing. Hopefully you can see that ArchiCAD can do things as well (or dare I say better?! ) than Revit if you are able to let go of the Revit methodology and try ArchiCAD processes with optimism.

Work as a team and do things ArchiCAD's way.

Cheers,
Link.
Arcadia
Booster
Sounds like zeropointreference and myself are doing much the same thing except he is storing his details externally and I have them in the project file. I just want to add something else about my method. As I said I have my std details arranged in a grid pattern on worksheets (different work sheets for different details classes) in a logical organized fashion of rows of various types of details etc. I have kept the same system from the start and when new details are added they go at the end of the row. I never swap a detail out for a different one in the grid just update it. What this means is that when I have to update an old project for re-use (ie if a builder I work for has a series of std models they use which I convert into jobs as they sell them) to update the details I just delete the the details and past in the latest versions of them from my template. This means I don't have to do any work on my layouts as the details are all in the same spots on my worksheet. I hope that made sense:) Just pays to think about future use when setting up an organized system.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats a good point, will keep that in mind, also I do like the idea of having the std details on the job template file, so its always there, an only need to update the template when a new detail needs to come in.

But do you do with unique details? Do you add them to the template too or just leave them in the job they were created in? as who knows when u might need them.
Arcadia
Booster
Yes unique details do come up and I sometimes copy them into the template if I think I may need them in future. Most unique details are just done referenced to a section somewhere and left in the project as they are unlikely to be re-used.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Arcadia wrote:
Some like having details externally that are linked but this creates problems as if you update your external std it will update in your project as well which can cause inconsistencies especially if you need to customize something. Better to have all details within your project file.
I would be using this method if I needed to.
I think the concern you raised can be handled relatively easy:
Go to the Drawing Manager, select all those external source details and click the Break Link button.
Now all those Drawing will become embedded into the Project File and you don't have to worry about them changing.
If you now go to their settings Dialogs you will see that the Update Status field says "Embedded", and the Store Drawing in the Project File became checked if it was not checked before.

Those files you have embedded, what happens if you decide to update it, what would you do? an how would you do it?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maysum wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
Arcadia wrote:
Some like having details externally that are linked but this creates problems as if you update your external std it will update in your project as well which can cause inconsistencies especially if you need to customize something. Better to have all details within your project file.
I would be using this method if I needed to.
I think the concern you raised can be handled relatively easy:
Go to the Drawing Manager, select all those external source details and click the Break Link button.
Now all those Drawing will become embedded into the Project File and you don't have to worry about them changing.
If you now go to their settings Dialogs you will see that the Update Status field says "Embedded", and the Store Drawing in the Project File became checked if it was not checked before.

Those files you have embedded, what happens if you decide to update it, what would you do? an how would you do it?
In the Drawing Manager you can always select any Drawing in the list and use the Link Drawing to button to re-link it to any internal view or external source.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27