BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Detect Viewport Scale

Lingwisyer
Guru
Hi all,

Is there a way to have an object that when placed on a layout detects the scales of viewports on that layout?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
8 REPLIES 8
Eli Chiasson
Booster
A text box (which can go on a Layout or a Layout Master) with the Autotext Drawing Scale will list all the scales of drawings on that layout.

You can also Schedule Views though I'm not sure how you could get this to work in an automated fashion.

Another option would be a custom GDL object if you needed better control over the format than what the text allows.
Eli Chiasson
Dexel Architecture
http://www.dexel.ca
AC19-23 USA+MEP • i7-7700 3.6GHz | 32GB RAM • Windows 10 Professional
Lingwisyer
Guru
Is there a way to convert that autotext into plain text? At the moment, the autotext is being read as <DRAWINGSCALE> rather than the returned value by the rest of the script which breaks it... It is also messing up my text spacing as the Textblock width is being read using <DRAWINGSCALE> as well which is a lot wider than the returned value.

Ling.

Lingwisyer
Guru
Hm... apparently you cannot use autotext in this way as:

All this is invisible to GDL – consequently the size and other attributes of the text are not measurable.

Ling.

Eli Chiasson
Booster
Initially I missed that your post was in the GDL section of the forum, not just Working in ARCHICAD.

Unfortunately I can't help with GDL.
Eli Chiasson
Dexel Architecture
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Assuming your object needs to function as a title block, I could offer you how we solved this to be very easy to adjust and work with: we have worksheets for our different title blocks.

These are saved as a view.

These views are placed on the master layout.

We use a combination of Project Info autotext fields (projectnumber, client details etc), Layout Info Scheme autotext fields (status, date, change date, layout size) and Drawing autotext fields (scale).

Edit: the worksheet content is just lines and textfields with autotext links, in case this wasn't obvious.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Eli Chiasson
Booster
Erwin wrote:
... we have worksheets for our different title blocks...

I'm curious, what flexibility does this give you over just putting the content directly in the Master?

Or is it that you can more easily transfer a worksheet from a standard template/library?
Eli Chiasson
Dexel Architecture
Lingwisyer
Guru
I was hoping I could have things be scale dependant, but as it would appear that that is not possible I will just have to leave it at user input which in the grand scheme of things, is not that troublesome.

Ling.

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Eli wrote:
Erwin wrote:
... we have worksheets for our different title blocks...

I'm curious, what flexibility does this give you over just putting the content directly in the Master?

Or is it that you can more easily transfer a worksheet from a standard template/library?
Well, this is setup in our company template.

The benefit is we have 3 different title blocks, but many more master layouts. So any change made to the title block, will automatically update on all master layouts.

It would work the same way with an object placed on master layout, but some 2d line work with text on a worksheet is a lot easier to modify than a scripted object.

The text that would change from project to project is made up of the autotext fields I explained above.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!