cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. License Manager Tool update is required on Windows. Learn more…
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Doors/Windows sliding in the wall thickness?

alexliz
Participant
I have found a few doors, but no windows.

Sliding Windows in the INT library only feature windows where the one half of the glass area slides over the other half - NOT the kind where both halfs can slide each in its own side of the wall thickness, effectively opening the whole width.

We used to have such windows in past versions (v4.1 if I'm not mistaken). What happened?
Alex Zachopoulos

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz, MacOS X 10.5.6, ArchiCAD 11 & 12, WinXP, Vista (well, not really Vista...)
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't remember any pocket window in any AC version since AC 4.5.
In fact, I do not know whether such a window type exist in reality.
I do not know of a single US window making company that makes
a pocket window. Are they made and used in Greece ?
I would be interested in the construction details of such
a window. Making them seal against the weather would
seem very difficult.
Thank you,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
It didn't rain once in the 6 weeks I was in Greece.... Maybe weathering isn't an issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Stuart,
Have you ever heard of or seen such a window type ?
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter

As far as Archicad windows go, I've always used Door and Window Builder, so this is easy to achieve (using a door or a window). I don't know if such a window was available from the standard Archicad libraries.

In real life, they're reasonably common in an interior situation (therefore no weathering issues), but in an external wall, probably not a good idea unless you have very good cover from the elements (and the maintenance man knows not to hose them down too vigourously).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Stuart,
You say they are reasonably common for interiors.
I have often seen pocket doors used in interiors
but I have never seen a pocket window.
I did a search on the web using the keyword
"pocket window" and got no hits that related
to windows.
What are these windows that you have seen called ?
If I knew what they were called I could get
some information about them.
Thanks,
Peter Devlin
alexliz
Participant
The problem with this type of windows, in real life I mean, is that they suffer in terms of sound-proofing and heat insulation when compared to normal sliding or opening mechanisms. Otherwise, they are excellent ways to keep the window/door out of sight when opened, as well as to fully open the window/door opening as opposed to only being able to open a part of it.

Water never comes in (well, it does, in extreme weather, penetrate the wall interior, but don't imagine any huge quantities. In a short time the wall is dry again; you wouldn't normally see the water in the interior).

I might have to go back to my v4 CDs and dig up those ancient library parts.
Alex Zachopoulos

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz, MacOS X 10.5.6, ArchiCAD 11 & 12, WinXP, Vista (well, not really Vista...)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Peter

There's a company here which do cavity sliders (check out www.csfordoors.co.nz). Is the photo on the right a door or a window? There's not much difference between a sliding door and a sliding window I suppose, except maybe for the sill height.

So Alex, maybe you can use a sliding door, raise the sill height, show the sill lines on plan, and tell everyone it's a window?
Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast
I checked out the site and although I have never seen those used where I live they look pretty much like cut down pocket doors to me. I think you could use a pocket door for this purpose.

I would not use those for exterior walls either but if you want doors that open there is the Nanawall system which is very nice although pricey. They can either fold to both sides or off to a side pocket. If rain is not an issue they are available without a bottom track as well.

http://www.nanawall.com

Cheers,
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gerald wrote:
I checked out the site and although I have never seen those used where I live they look pretty much like cut down pocket doors to me. ...
Cheers,
Yep, that's about it. But put glass in it and is it a door or a window?