Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Get section view of GDL object.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I have made a new parametric GDL object and have successfully created the plan and 3D view for it.

The problem comes when I try to create the section view for the object; it doesn't show the internal structure of the component (it only displays a black surface). I have used GLOB_CONTEXT but I haven't had any success so far.

Would anybody be able to suggest any solutions for me?

Thanks
Stickinsect7
10 REPLIES 10
Erich
Contributor
In section it will display what ever you created in 3D. If you built the internal structure, whatever it might be, in the 3D script, then it will show in the section.

If you have done this and are still just seeing a solid cut fill, perhaps you have some element of your object that is obscuring the internal details.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich

Thank you for your quick response.

The section view now only shows the outline of the object, but when you highlight it the internal structure is displayed. Does this suggest to you that there is an element of the object that is obscuring the internal details?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am wondering if it would be possible to define a CUTPLANE in 3D for the GDL Object. If the Global Context is Section, then With and IF THEN structure you would execute the CUTPLANE command. This would be a vertical cut plane and would cut you GDL object at the desired position.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
sinceV6
Advocate
Some things that need to be checked:
- that your section doesn't override the object's fill with a single fill (for all cut elements), because then it will be shown as you describe (same fill regardless of each internal structure)

- that your object has distinct fill for each part, or AC will merge those fills in section

- that you use SOLID, because if you are building surfaces in GDL, section views might not show any fill, and only display the internal elements once highlighted or selected.

hope this helps.
Erich
Contributor
If the object is still not working properly, you could try posting it so we can see the code and find the issue that way (assuming this is not a commercial object).
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you have several materials, take a look at SECT_FILL or SECT_ATTRS commands in the GDL ref guide.
Place the desired command before each new material in the 3D script.

This is the old way to get a correct display in section. It still works for me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for all the responses, I will have a look in to all of them.

Unfortunately I'm not able to post the object on here as it's a commercial object but I have attached a couple of pictures showing what is happening when I take a section through the object (a prefabricated timber roof panel that has been scripted to be structurally correct).

The first image shows what I get if I take a section through the object (just the outline) and the second one shows the same but with the object highlighted. Ideally I would like to have the internal structure showing in the section view without having to highlight the object.

Thanks again
Capture_talk_02.PNG
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry could only attach one image at a time. Here is the second one showing the section view of the highlighted object.
Capture_talk_01.PNG
Erich
Contributor
It appears that you have two planar elements to form the top and bottom of the assembly and a bunch of joists/rafters inside. However, when you select the whole object, there is also another element that fills the whole space between the top and bottom surfaces. I suspect that this is your problem. Unless you do as Oliver suggests, ArchiCAD will merge all the similar fills which seems to be the effect you are seeing.

Better still comment out, or turn off is some other way, the other element and the details should show up fine.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
27" iMac Retina 5K