cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. License Manager Tool update is required on Windows. Learn more…
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Hiding the leader of an associative label

jshuether
Enthusiast
Is there anyway to hide the leader on an associative label?

I typically place the fixture type # next to all of the light fixtures on the reflected ceiling plans (F1, F2, F3, etc). Rather than scripting in "text2" in all of my light fixture objects, it would be so easy to use the associative label tool.

Turning off the associative label leader would also be helpful indicating partition types, because I could use a traditional partition type symbol (yes, there is a workaround by setting the arrow size to "0").

Scott
ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10
20 REPLIES 20
Frank Beister
Advisor
It should be the global LABEL_POSITION, what you are looking for. It's an array with mystic coordinates in 2 columns (x/y) and 3 rows. See the following bitmap. That's no official documentation, but my own research. Open for corrections.

With this information you can calculate the position of the label. Together with the position of the main element you can (maybe) reach your aim.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
jshuether
Enthusiast
Thank you, Frank. I saw the LABEL_POSITIION parameter in the GDL manual, but the description gave no explanation of the array. Your graphic clears this up. I will try to use this to my advantage.

Scott
ArchiCAD 25

Windows 10
Aussie John
Newcomer
my theory why there is no documentation on this is because GS doesnt understand how it works either.

I can get the label to go to the origin with

add2 symb_pos_X-label_position [1][1],symb_pos_y-label_position [1][2]

but falls into a heap if I try to rotate it.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
F. wrote:
With this information you can calculate the position of the label. Together with the position of the main element you can (maybe) reach your aim.
Thank you Frank.

I had come to a similar conclusion about the mystery of the LABEL_POSITION array values, but not so clearly and concisely (I got what I wanted but didn't spend the time to sort out how it worked). This will be a great help in future battles with the accurséd label tool. Thanks again.
Frank Beister
Advisor
2 more:

If you work with AC9 youhave to install latest patch, because there's an error with the globals for arrays before.

There is no mirroring of labels. Means: AC transforms position and rotangle if you mirror them in the plan.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
TomWaltz
Participant
This is the link I was looking for:
http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/generalparameters.html

about half-way down (search for LABEL_POSITION)
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I dont know GDL.

I looked at the GDL Ref Guide. Now i know i don't WANT to know GDL.

I DO want to know how to position my associative label with predictability.

Is this too much to ask?

I have wasted a lot of time on labels this week. Any help is appreciated.
Anonymous
Not applicable
F. wrote:
There is no mirroring of labels. Means: AC transforms position and rotangle if you mirror them in the plan.
This plagues the ordinary text labels as well (or something like this) just changing the text alignment/justification sometimes (but not always) flips the direction of the horizontal leader (relocating the text as well). WTF?

Every time I use the label tool I am reminded of how much I hate it (as much for its unrealized potential as for its gross misbehavior).
Anonymous
Not applicable
LINZ wrote:
I dont know GDL.

I looked at the GDL Ref Guide. Now i know i don't WANT to know GDL.

I DO want to know how to position my associative label with predictability.
You definitely don't want to know the GDL of the label tool. Even those of us who know it don't really know it. This is a tool that was created from a bad spec a long time ago and never fixed.
Is this too much to ask?

I have wasted a lot of time on labels this week. Any help is appreciated.
My suggestion is to use text and lines/arcs/splines (your choice) and forget the label tool. They are boring and a little tedious but they are reliable and always do as they are told. The label tool is a tempting little vixen but she'll always leave you frustrated and unfulfilled.
Frank Beister
Advisor
One trick with label programming is: Don't do any transformations to position your content.
AC calculates the dimensions of the label block and after it has all these 2D informations it positions according to label arrow, position and allignment. Sometimes you have to refresh content (by going to settings dialog) or to rebuilt the screen. Since I gave up individual positioning all works better. 😉

One problem is still scale independance. Needs most rebuilt of the labels.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!