Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How to import DWG blocks to be used as objects (furnitures)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I need to find a way to import the hundreds of DWG blocks that the manufacturers provided me with, in archicad in order to have them always available to use them as objects.

Basically I do interior design for offices. The dwg blocks are piece of furnitures in 3d.
I used to work with autocad, but then, thank to a friend of mine, I foud Archicad much quicher in the workflow and the library/objects are great! so if i could import the dwg blocks I will switch over straight away!

Thanks in advance!
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
File>Libraries and Objects>Open Object....
Open 3D DWG/DXF as Library Parts
3D Data in created Library Parts: Choose one of the following options:

a) Binary 3D: store the 3D information in binary format
b) GDL Script: store the 3D information in GDL script

If you process 3D data, the Binary 3D form is recommended: it is much quicker if the script doesn‘t have to be recompiled every time you generate the 3D view.
Note: The Open Object command is the only way to get all the 3D data stored in a DXF/DWG file!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Andro, I really apprecciate your help, but i can't really get there..

maybe we run a different version of archicad. mine is 13

anyway

File -> Libraries and object -> Open Object.

then i choose Browse for a folder and i select the DWG file.

In the same window there are the options for the translator (where i guess i have to select the option Binary 3d or GDL script) right?

I'm kinda of stuck there..
I've tried to go ahead to import the DWG file, but i had no luck with all the settings i tried. I only managed to import an invisible and undescaled object...

Thanks in advance!
rob2218
Enthusiast
you might want to try to saveout the DWG 3d information as a 3DS file. then try to import/open that very same 3ds file into Archicad?
try that?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Anonymous
Not applicable
It's been a long time since I've done this so I don't know if it still works, but if the blocks are placed in an AutoCAD drawing there should be an option to convert them to library parts when you open the DWG in ArchiCAD. It might only make the 2D symbols though. I don't recall if it converts the 3D info.
Anonymous
Not applicable
debtz wrote:
Hi Andro, I really apprecciate your help, but i can't really get there..

maybe we run a different version of archicad. mine is 13

anyway

File -> Libraries and object -> Open Object.

then i choose Browse for a folder and i select the DWG file.

In the same window there are the options for the translator (where i guess i have to select the option Binary 3d or GDL script) right?

I'm kinda of stuck there..
I've tried to go ahead to import the DWG file, but i had no luck with all the settings i tried. I only managed to import an invisible and undescaled object...

Thanks in advance!

It works on AC13 too. There is the Step by step procedure:
1. File -> Libraries and object -> Open Object
2. Browse for a folder and select the 3D DWG file
3. Select the translator (which has option ...Save AC blocks As Binary 3d)
4. Pick OK button
5. Now opens the GDL window.... Click X to close it and select SAVE
5. Now opens the SAVE LIBRARY PART WINDOW....Input Name for the new object, Place where to be saved (Embeded Library or Browse for external path), Type=ArchiCAD Object > Options...Select both
6. Pick OK button
7. Pick SAVE button

That's all folks. Before you do this, open DWG files with AutoCAD or another FREE clone of it (Dassault DraftSight, IMSI Double CAD XT) and CHECK the Units, put all elements on Layer 0, use Purge to Delete all unwanted elements, and Save As to preserve the original.

I attach my TRANSLATOR for AC13 (works with AC14 but IT IS NOT MODIFYABLE in it).
Anonymous
Not applicable
One example for this method:
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to everyone, much apprecciate your help!

Andro unfortunately the translator you posted is not compatible. i cannot import it...maybe because i'm on mac... I have to thank you for the effort. really

anyway i think i'm going to give up, because i would be importing tens if not hundreds of bwg blocs only for one project and this way of converting is time consuming apart the fact that so far i dindn't managed to make it working....

I think i'm going to use archicad for the starting plan (walls, windows, doord and some objects), then will tranfer to autocad to import the dwg blocks.

it's a pity though..it was love at first sight
Anonymous
Not applicable
Most likely my next post is going to be: "how to export dwg retaining the 3d dimension"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Andro...you nailed it! I was searching for so long how to import autocad 3d models. Haha.. hours of frustration have come to an end. thanks.