Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How to import DWG blocks to be used as objects (furnitures)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,

I need to find a way to import the hundreds of DWG blocks that the manufacturers provided me with, in archicad in order to have them always available to use them as objects.

Basically I do interior design for offices. The dwg blocks are piece of furnitures in 3d.
I used to work with autocad, but then, thank to a friend of mine, I foud Archicad much quicher in the workflow and the library/objects are great! so if i could import the dwg blocks I will switch over straight away!

Thanks in advance!
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for letting me know about other good stuff !
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Andro, thanks for your explanation. Applying your process, I can import a 3D DWG however the object comes in rotated laying down on its back and with a single material. Have you any recommendations? Thanks, Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott,
Set the 3D view as "Front View", "Azimuth=90°" to see the .dwg element from the top.
Materials must be predefined in .dwg file or later in .gsm object adding the right code.
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Andro, you mention
andro55 wrote:
Set the 3D view as "Front View", "Azimuth=90°" to see the .dwg element from the top.
Can you please describe where you find these settings. They do not appear for me when opening the imported DWG object by File>Libraries & Objects>Open Object.
Thanks, Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Anonymous
Not applicable
When you have the 3D .dwg inserted on the plan, select it and open the 3D window. Here you must set the view to see the element from the TOP (use 3D Projection Settings > Parallel Projections > Side View and Azimuth=90°, 180° or 270°). Now you can save the element as .gsm object.
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Andro, brilliant & simple! For whatever reason however the DWG obtained from Sub Zero degenerates in the 3D view during the process as seen in the attached plan & 3D view screenshots. The 2D plan view representation is correct, the model not so much. Thanks, Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott,
can you attach the .dwg file (ZIP) so I can check it?
or a link for downloading?
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Here ya go!
http://www.subzero-wolf.com/wine-cooler/wine-chiller

Once at this page select 'Specifications & Downloads' from the center of the page, then select the 3D DWG icon under CAD Downloads for the WS-30 Framed Refrigerator. I think it is 6.5 MB.

Please let me know what you discover.
Thanks, Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
OK,
1. I open the "WS-30 Framed_LH.dwg" in Draft Sight, purged all unnecessary elements; change the color to 9 (gray); then I rotate the refrigerator (rotate3d, x, 90°) and save it.
2. Next in AC I used Open Object (translator 02) and save as object (binary 3D);put it on the plan (4 errors - normal vector and edge xxx is not perpendicular in pgon xxx).
3. The bad thing - object has only 1 material (no such settings in the original .dwg model).
Anonymous
Not applicable
These settings in mine DXF-DWG translator 02:
DXF-DWG Translation Setup_Open Options.jpg