cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. License Manager Tool update is required on Windows. Learn more…
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Migrating Office Template - Attribute Challenges

Robert Nichols
Advocate

How does everyone handle custom surface, building materials, fills, etc when it's time to bring an office template up to speed with a new version of ArchiCAD? For several revisions, I just kept our existing attributes and updated a few odds and ends when incrementing the AC version of our template. Last time around, incrementing from 26 to 27, I thought I must surely be missing some improvements in the various attribute collections. Without thinking through the implications, I replaced our default fills and surfaces with a new set harvested from the v27 new file template. Wow - I sure regret that. Now I see how wrongheaded that move was. The internal ID's from the old and new set are mostly not matching up, and our office custom attributes are floating around in the middle of the mess, not finding their necessary dependancies.

Question: when working with custom studio attributes, can I manually give them an ID? It seems like it would work well to establish an id namespace that's easily clear of the default GS attribute ID's. Then, if I'm disciplined about defining new surfaces, for example, using only our own textures and fills, I should be able to weather a wholesale replacement os GS attributes without any trouble. Is this the correct approach?

Thanks, Robert

Mac Studio, 32gb ram, ArchiCAD v26 (Apple Silicon) MacOS 13
1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly

In 27 you can re-index an attribute to any number that is not being used.

BarryKelly_0-1723509894652.png

You can also delete unwanted attributes and 'replace with' another attribute - this can be handy.

I create a new attribute with a number much higher than any others.

Then when a user creates a new attribute, its number will be one higher than that.

I can then re-index that if I want to add it to my template and I can then import those template attributes into any file without upsetting the user created attributes.

And the user created attributes don't affect my template.

BarryKelly_1-1723510285133.png

I don't have many more spots before I will have to create a new fill with an even higher attribute number - but I am not expecting to be adding many more new fills to my template in the near future.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!