Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Objects don't copy with correct surfaces between projects

AK9001
Participant

Hi there -- sometimes when I copy objects from project to project, something messes up with the surfaces. See the images of the tree below. When copied over only some of the leaves are correct and some of them turn in to brown squares with a different surface. Any insight?

Operating system used: Windows

Screenshot 2024-06-29 121953.png

Screenshot 2024-06-29 122025.png

  

5 REPLIES 5
scottjm
Advisor

Do you already have surface attributes in the file you are copying from (source) with the same name as the file you are copying too (destination)?

If an attribute being used by the object, already exists in the destination file with the same name, Archicad will use that attribute in the object, and not bring it from the source file, regardless of whether it’s suitable or not eg in your instance a totally different colour. 

You can kind of think of it as the equivalent of ‘use destination formatting’ in word, but not a logical…  It’s one of the many frustrating intricacies of working with attributes between files. 

To resolve, either rename the attribute in the source file to something unique, or delete the offending attribute from the destination file. 

(Or maybe each file is just a different season and it’s just Autumn in the destination file.   🤣🤣 🍁🍂)

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

I think you're right -- it's fall in the new project lol.

Actually though I can't seem to figure out how to change the attributes correctly. I opened the object and edited the names of the surfaces of the object in the original file, but it keeps pasting in the same way. I'm I doing that correctly? How should I be changing the attributes?

Lingwisyer
Guru

Depends on the object... You should probably share the name of the object in question.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Does this help?

Screenshot 2024-06-30 215010.png

Barry Kelly

When copying from project to project, you need to make sure that they both have the same attributes with the same attribute numbers.

Also that the same library are loaded as the texture images will be stored in the libraries.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Setup info provided by author