Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Protruding Pocket Door

Lingwisyer
Guru
Working in ARCHICAD as I don't intend to script a new door. Though since it's got to do with a door, maybe it should be here...

Hi all,

I was wondering how you would model a pocket door that protrudes from its pocket and when closed butts into the frame of another door. The pocket door object doesn't appear to have an option to have a Pocket that is smaller than the Leaf. The relevant walls also have three different constructions which don't quite clean up one you introduce the doors...
My current thought is to model the wall containing the pocket door as multiple separate walls. Two walls create the pocket, the current wall above the wall hole, then a slim wall housing an exterior sliding door within the current wall hole. This could possibly work, so I'm just wondering if anyone else has any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
3 REPLIES 3
as with everything you model in ArchiCAD, is depends on what you need to do with it.
If it's just correct 2D and 3D you need, you ctn explode the door assembly into morphs and modify it. So the door panel, door frames, casing... can all be geometrically correct. You can perhaps make use of a polygonal wall to form the pocket, lots of options.
Best solution - don't do it like that

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Lingwisyer
Guru
I didn't think of exploding the door assembly... How do the wall interactions work once the door has been exploded? Wouldn't think that wallhole and such would still be active... With the pocket sorted quickly in this way, there's still the question of the wall cleanup though.

I went and modelled all the parts of the walls that interact with the doors separately. The upside is that all the walls cleanup nicely. The downside of doing this way is that you end up creating false walls... and it takes longer and is more complicated to modify.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Lingwisyer wrote:
I didn't think of exploding the door assembly... How do the wall interactions work once the door has been exploded? Wouldn't think that wallhole and such would still be active... With the pocket sorted quickly in this way, there's still the question of the wall cleanup though.

I went and modelled all the parts of the walls that interact with the doors separately. The upside is that all the walls cleanup nicely. The downside of doing this way is that you end up creating false walls... and it takes longer and is more complicated to modify.

Ling.
You are correct. Keep everything as fully functional elements as much as you can.
This is a link to a video clip of how that might look - https://www.screencast.com/t/ZTQulydAFO7b
You can model this in a way that you can still schedule the doors and use Markers, Labels, dimension to centerline, that sort of thing. And it will look correct in 2D, 3D, Elevations, Sections, 3D Documents...
That was fun Ling. You probably already figured it out.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25