Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Sustituting defaults when missing from library

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
Is there a way to get an object to substitute a default image when the one called by a libray part is not currenlty loaded into the library? I get the following warning when a specific image is not available.

"Cant find picture file:testpic, called at line 4 of xxxx.gsm"

Also, when an object is calling another object, is there a way to verify if the called object is not available and substitue some default script instead?
3 REPLIES 3
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
dan,

the only thing I can think of is using GDL file manager in/out (see the AC help for more info). unfortunately it is a very clunky approach because it works differently on mac and win platforms due to a different filepath syntax which is a major disadvantage.

actually, if there is another way how to handle this, I would like to know that as well (thinking of the very same problem lately).
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dan wrote:
Is there a way to get an object to substitute a default image when the one called by a libray part is not currenlty loaded into the library? I get the following warning when a specific image is not available.

If I understand what you are asking, you You can load any image through the Library Manager named "testpic" and the library part in question will find it.
Dan wrote:
Also, when an object is calling another object, is there a way to verify if the called object is not available and substitue some default script instead?
If you get an error saying it can't find the object it is not available. If the part it's looking for is included in a separate PLA there's no way to find it without unpacking the PLA. You could create anything (load it as a library part) and give it the same name that the object in question is looking for and it may or may not show up. You could get some really crazy results or a lot of error messages. Sometimes I create an object that just uses the "A" and "B" (X and Y) like "RECT" or CIRCLE (with a hard number as the "r" value) just to see what and where it might be.

Hope this helps... say hi to Steve.

Woody
Anonymous
Not applicable
woodster wrote:
Dan wrote:

If I understand what you are asking, you You can load any image through the Library Manager named "testpic" and the library part in question will find it.
Hello Woody,
That's not quite what I 'm looking for. What I really need is some sort of GDL syntax to use so that I can verify if a particular image or object to be "subsequently" called is available in a loaded library...If it's not, I would like to be able to issue a warning with the print command:

Print "Requested image/object not loaded in library - default image/object substituted"

I guess what I really need is some sort of request command that I verify against a variable - if they don't equal then the argument is not valid and I would direct the object to a default image or default portion of the script.

Basically, I want to determine if the called item is potentially available before ArchiCAD gives me the warning so I can redirect the object to do something else.

I hope this makes sense

Thanks