cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. License Manager Tool update is required on Windows. Learn more…
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Why must you load default libraries?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another totally newbie idiot question I'm sure but I just don't get why I have to "load" or find libraries that are default ArchiCAD app libraries/objects. Or more importantly how to. Why is this step here?

ArchiCAD has frozen on one computer. I used a USB drive to transfer the file needed to work on to another computer. Both ArchiCAD instances are updated and loaded with the most recent libraries and no editing or adding has ever been done to these libraries. I can understand why the library manager would be useful when editing or adding libraries but why does it even show up when the objects/libraries are there-default objects (just standard doors and windows) that ArchiCAD come with? The app acts like I have used objects that it doesn't have and I get the dots where objects should be. I drag libraries/ folders back and forth from the library manager (obviously I am missing the most basic process here) to no avail. Those objects are there- but they are not.
The action is so basic a search is not helping here. The reference guide describes modifying well but I am not finding this most basic step here either.

Help Please

Thanks much

Struggling in San Diego
15 REPLIES 15
Dwight
Newcomer
Newbies are only idiots when they ignore information. The same as experienced guys can be.

You need not load any libraries, except that the startup template has the Archicad Library selected. Make afresh file using another folder as a library with only the elements you want.

However, Archicad is quite robust in how it protects you from library errors, especially duplicate names. Therefore, whenver a library loads, you'll observe a routine where library elements are compared and missing/duplicate items identified.

When you mess with the library folders while Archicad runs, you must use the Library Manager to formally RELOAD those library folders. It then rebulds the library directory and can see (and place) elements on the dots.

IT IS NOT ENOUGH JUST TO SNEAK THINGS INTO LIBRARY FOLDERS.

Next time, however, Archicad will lod the folder when it starts and the new parts will be there.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight, thanks so much for the response. I am however still unclear about the sequence of actions needed.
I just haven't had the need before to deal with the Library Manager.

The Loading Report notes the Missing/Doubles -including doors and windows. Going then into the Library Manager the default tab selected is /History and that pane shows three folders, ACAD Office Library, ACAD Library 10, and ACAD10. In the other pane I note the folder Libraries/Objects not found includes ACAD 10 and ACAD office Library- I presume here is where actions should be taking place BUT...the procedures I am attempting are not working

"Make afresh file using another folder as a library with only the elements you want."

I don't understand this. Go back to the doc > file> new project?...which folder-a new one? how to get to it? and then what?

"you must use the Library Manager to formally RELOAD those library
folders."

Which folders exactly? Whenever I try to load folders it just tells me I am duplicating things and I get 9000 + items and all kinds of error report. It just seems like a lot of specific procedures are necessary here and one wrong sequence will null the whole process. I am undoubtedly starting with the wrong sequence and making more mistakes along the way. I guess it is trying to protect the data defined by the windows and doors I slightly customized from the default ones but where is that folder of data found?

Sorry to sound so clueless but I really need an exact pathway procedure to accomplish this seemingly simple task.

Thanks
Dwight
Newcomer
It sounds like secretary school for you. I am a firm believer of the "everything on the desktop" organization method. People think that you are busy that way.

There's a default Library. It has a special format: lcf "container."

This holds the basic objects and should remain unaltered. It simplifies updating the library because any new or edited parts will live in a new folder. When you drop in a new lcf, it should be seamless.

You can remove folders from the library using the library manager. This is up to you to organize. Perhaps others can chime in with ideas to help you.....

Have a look in the Library Manager. It shows you what folders it loads and it is clear how to specify additional folders to load. Once you are done, have it Reload. Once you save your project, it will remember the folders used for libraries. And you must know the folders where your objects are. This isn't magic.

As to how you got so many folders and so many duplicates.... i dunno.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight,

I do sincerely thank you for your help and advice.
I think I understand the principles of the library manager is trying to achieve. I understand and have long ago loaded the 10 lcf folder and understand that.

Unfortunately the Library manager is not at all as intuitive and as you describe-at least for me. I have no idea what is needed, where to go to get them, and the process to do so. The folder Libraries/Objects not found is empty, thousands of duplicate objects end up in the loading report when I load the folders the manager seems to need (I can remove them by removing all folders from the active libraries pane-but that doesn't seem logical to me) No hint of what path to take to find the folder(?) of data defined and stored? by the file just opened that will reload the parts therein. I think this is the basic thing that I am not getting here. I understand there must be a place that ArchiCAD put the data from that file I was using on that other computer-but shouldn't it come with the file when opened- or at least be readily available to load?

All I know is when I open a Vectorworks file in another computer with VW on it will just open up and everything will be there without this convoluted required journey of pathways to files or folders hiding somewhere. If I do need something VW will show me the way.

My frustration is getting the better of me and appologize for sounding so. I know it is easy for you -and I stress I do thank you for your help- but I have hit a brick wall here. It seems like magic to me and I am but a mere mortal.

I am sure I will figure it all out tonight at home after I've had a couple of beers and calmed down and work on it again. 😉

Cheers

Tad
Anonymous
Not applicable
It sounds like you have a mess here.
I would try this. It can't hurt anything and might clean things up a bit.
Launch AC, select "Create a new project", select "Use a template",
select "Archicad 10 template.tpl", leave "Use latest settings" UN-checked,
and open the new project.
Notice that the only local library loaded in the right pane of the
library manager is the "Archicad 10 library".
Now go to file->file special->Merge and browse to find your problem
project and select it and hit open.
You get a few dialog boxes to respond to but finally the the
problem project will be merged into the new project but with
only the "Archicad 10 library" objects present.
Now, hopefully, you will have all of the library parts that are in
the Archicad 10 library show in the plan.
If you have objects that are not in the "Archicad 10 library" you
will have to load folders with those parts in the library manager
using "local lan" in the left pane.
If you now have duplicate library parts then obviously
the other library parts folders contain duplicate parts from the
"Archicad 10 library" and you have to remove those parts from
those folders.
Hope this helps,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Peter thanks for the advice.

It all sounded so crisp clean logical and doable-the excitement at solving the problem was palpable. But doing exactly what you recommend did not remove the dreaded dots.

What is most confusing me is that the Library loading report clearly calls out the missing (I'm assuming they are not doubles) parts, which include doors, windows and objects. The button to then solve the problem > Library Manager... takes me quickly to add missing library parts. But here is where I am lost. The Library Manager active libraries pane is simply set up-one ArchiCAD 10 folder there and nothing in the other objects folder or the FTP Libraries folder 13 folders in the Built-in Libraries folder. If the Libraries/Objects not found folder is empty then what parts/objects or folders am I looking for? If the Local Libraries already has the ArchiCAD Library 10 there and adding anything else gives me the error>duplicates (by the 1000's) warning dialog box pops up. And then going into the said document I can easily access, navigate and choose any new friggin' door, window or object that I want to- the only missing objects are those that I put in the project file created on the other computer. If that packet of object data ( I don't know how else to put it) is defined by and owned only by this particular file then I am totally lost at the seemingly required search for that packet at places outside of the file on a computer that did not create it.

I am most confused.

And I have been designing, 3D modeling, rendering houses -creating textures, complicated 3D objects and presentation/construction documents exclusively on computers for years so think I have a pretty good understanding at the principles of CAD and computers. I know I have yet much to learn-certainly in ArchiCAD- but knowing enough to know I should be able to figure this out is fairly maddening.

Any other advice is most welcome and I appreciate your very clear descriptions at what to do.

Sincerely struggling - but keeping a grin on my face- In sunny San Diego
Dwight
Newcomer
Here's an idea:

Go to the other computer and save the project as an Archive.
Then transfer THAT file to the new computer.

Let us know.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Here's an idea:

Go to the other computer and save the project as an Archive.
Then transfer THAT file to the new computer.

Let us know.
Hey Dwight, thanks for chiming in. OK I'm at the point of choosing between the Active Library Usage upon opening the archive file- the logical choice to me is to Extract elements to a folder- but logic is not benefitting me much on this so I am more than a bit reticent about taking the plunge. Is that it or do I choose Read elements directly from archive-never having worked from an archive before I am all ears (or eyes as the case may be)

Thanks

Tad
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well Hot Damn!

I went ahead and dove right in and chose the create a folder and didn't even have to access it. It worked! All the windows and doors came in just fine.

Thanks so much for the ideas and advice.

To say that I am just a wee bit paranoid about the library loading/manager is an understatement though. I cringe whenever I see it pop up. and is this always the recommended technique whenever transfering files to different computers?

Now I just need to learn how to wrangle it down to work for me.

Thanks again.

Tad