Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Why must you load default libraries?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another totally newbie idiot question I'm sure but I just don't get why I have to "load" or find libraries that are default ArchiCAD app libraries/objects. Or more importantly how to. Why is this step here?

ArchiCAD has frozen on one computer. I used a USB drive to transfer the file needed to work on to another computer. Both ArchiCAD instances are updated and loaded with the most recent libraries and no editing or adding has ever been done to these libraries. I can understand why the library manager would be useful when editing or adding libraries but why does it even show up when the objects/libraries are there-default objects (just standard doors and windows) that ArchiCAD come with? The app acts like I have used objects that it doesn't have and I get the dots where objects should be. I drag libraries/ folders back and forth from the library manager (obviously I am missing the most basic process here) to no avail. Those objects are there- but they are not.
The action is so basic a search is not helping here. The reference guide describes modifying well but I am not finding this most basic step here either.

Help Please

Thanks much

Struggling in San Diego
15 REPLIES 15
Dwight
Newcomer
??
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
We prefer the phrase "hot tamales," since they don't know the alternative implication for that word in Hungary.

All a guy has to do is threaten to go back to Vectorthing and we start to spill the secrets.

I gave you the idiot solution.

It is the one i use and is easy compared to the nightmare solution: "library over the network."

Other will be better at helping you set that up since i am but a lowly basement user and do not dwell in the tower of power users: ie: guys with real jobs.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Tad,
I did an experiment that might bear on your issue.
In a new AC 9 project I drew a wall and inserted
a AC 9 window and a AC 9 door and saved the project.
I then opened a new AC 10 project and merged
the AC 9 project into it.
The wall appeared but the door and window were
empty openings with rust colored dots in the center
of the openings. The library loading report stated
that there was a missing window and a missing door.
When I clicked on one of the rust colored dots
I could see its name which said w casement but
did not say w casement 10 as it would if it came
from the AC 10 library which it didn't because
it was merged from a AC 9 project.
This may be why the merge operation I suggested did not work.
Is it possible that the problem project was started in AC 9
and then opened in AC 10 ?
Does the archived project have AC 9 doors and windows ?
One way to tell is to look at the names of the windows and door
and if they do not have 10 as part of the name they are not
AC 10 doors and windows.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Peter,

This is me at home. You know what? I think that is exactly it. I don't have the file here but I am sure that I started that in 9 and upgraded to 10 about a month later.

Jeeze! I thought I was going crazy.

There must be a specific way that one must save and name/translate a doc when going from 9 to 10 that catches that. In fact I am sure of it because of documentation in the reference guide that I of course didn't really get into because we upgraded so quickly from me starting ArchiCAD.

Well that eases my paranoia about the library manager system.

I am so new to ArchiCAD and pretty much teaching myself on my own here that I wouldn't have caught that.

Thanks

Tad
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Tad,
There is still the mystery about he loaded libraries.
I opened that same AC 9 project in AC 10 not by merging
but simply opening it. The window and door appeared no problem
and the library manager listed the AC 9 library as the loaded library.
So, I can only conclude that you must have removed the
AC 9 library, added the AC 10 library and that was the
start of your troubles.
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep I was just popping down to the computer here at home after thinking about this this morning and was going to say how come the 9 files I opened on the original computer never had problems with the libraries (you think I would not have quickly ranted on this board ) and then realizing after reading your posts that the other computer never had 9 installed.

So there you have it. Hopefully my experience and the solutions provided will be helpful to others.

...until my next vexing problem in ArchiCAD...

Thanks for all the help.

Have a great weekend

Tad