Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

License Server - Virtual Machine - License key needs to be repaired after power outage reboot

Wolfgang
Newcomer

Our license server and the license manager tool is running on a virtual machine. It is a virtual Windows 10 running on Linux XEN. Recently we have to deal with rather frequent power outages due to a major rebuild of the power grid in our neighbourhood. This Server does not have an uninterruptable power supply, since we never had any issues like this in the last ten years.

Every time the server reboots after a power outage, the license key is "broken" and needs to be uploaded, repaired and downloaded again. The outages typically happen at night. So our employees can not start working in morning, if I am not in the office to fix the problem.

How does the license key get "broken" and what exactly happens when it is repaired? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from "breaking" in the first place. This is getting really annoying...

1 REPLY 1

It normally only becomes broken when there has been an update to the OS. You should always upload it and download it again when carrying out system updates. A power outage shouldn’t cause the issue. I didn’t think softkeys worked across multiple machines. We have a hardware key with 11 licenses on it which is accessed from those machines in the office and over VPN. We then have 4 softkeys installed on laptops. I’m guessing as it’s a software based key which worked like a multi license hardware key that somehow an improper shut down causes a similar issue to updating the OS. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)