Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

2D Wall Intersections at Walls of Varying Thickness

Brandon-W_DWa
Contributor

I am trying to understand how AC determines the 2D representation of wall intersections when one (1) wall intersects (2) or more vertically stacked walls, typically with different thicknesses. In 3D, everything appears as I would expect. This first image just gives some 3D context to the sample condition I've created to illustrate the issue, with some notes for context:

Intersection A (3D).png

 Below is the 2D result of this model:

Intersection A.png

As the note in the 2D image says, one workaround is to set the low wall floor plan display as cut only, so it disappears, thus fixing the clean wall intersection. However, let's say I want to see the ledge below of the low wall. It appears that the only way I can get this to work is to make sure that the low wall and mid wall have different reference line settings (i.e. one is set to Core Outside, while the other is set to Core Inside. It doesn't seem to matter which combination I try). The core of each wall can still be vertically aligned, but the reference lines can't align it seems.

Below is the intersection after I make said change:

Intersection B.png

I've tried all of my usual go-to troubleshooting methods:

1. Checked the reference lines of all the walls: they are as simple as I can get them.
  2. Made sure the material intersection priorities are set how I want them (this intersection "cleaning" seems to ignore the material priorities for some reason).
  3. The condition still exists after I remove the high wall.
  4. Renovation status, layers, and layer priorities checked.
  5. If I turn off "Clean Wall Intersections", the wall appears more right (it puts a separator along the core inside of the mid wall), but that's a feature I want to leave on.

To summarize - I have my workarounds, but I really just want to know what's going on so I can model accordingly. Thanks!

Versions 19, 21, & 23; currently using 25
macOS Monterey 12.6 - 2021 MacBook Pro 16", M1 Max Chip, 64gb DDR5
Browser: Google Chrome
1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly

You could maybe place the upper and lower wall in a separate layer that has a different intersection group number to the intersecting wall.

Then if the intersecting wall and the middle wall are in the same layer, only they will intersect.

I think the 3D should still be OK.

Otherwise I would select the 3 stacked walls, then Design menu > Complex Profiles > Merge walls (I think that is the default menu path).

This will create a complex profile wall.

It will be called "custom', so select the wall, right click and 'edit selected complex profile' and save it with a name.

Now swap the 'custom' profile in plan for the one you just saved.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11