Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

A few problems for a newbie

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all

I've been using this for a month now and I've managed to solve most of my newbie problems using the training videos and the things in this forum, but there are a few more problems that I simply can't fix - can anybody help?

The main one is simple: I want to put different finishes on the same wall (for example, where another wall intersects it to create two different rooms. I've not found a way to do this, but there must be one. Similarly, I would like to have two different finishes on the same wall (say, tiles on bottom half and paint on top half. Can this be done?

Same goes for slabs. I have one slab as the base for my entire building, but I want to have concrete in one part, metal in another etc. Is this possible without creating separate slabs?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
A good advice that I received here is : Model as you build. 🙂
About the walls, yes, you can split then and apply all kinds of finishes.
About the slabs, why would you want to do lots of finishes in the same slab?
That does not make much sense to me.
Its better to do the concrete slab, and then apply the finishes one by one, like when you will build it. It brings more simplicity, it's easy to find and change some parts, and better for scheduling materials, and for the rest of the documents. After all, AC is a CAD program, not Maya or Max 3D. 🙂

Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could experiment with some free add-ons/goodies:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/downloads/ac15/INT.html

Have a look at the accessories and interior wizard to apply finishes and trim/dado rails etc to surfaces.

I find the check duplicates goodie invaluable when creating details.
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Bluebirdnick wrote:
Similarly, I would like to have two different finishes on the same wall (say, tiles on bottom half and paint on top half. Can this be done?
Yes, take a look at Complex Profiles (search the Help files and this forum).

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would model as the contractor would build:

- walls separate walls for each room
- slab single structural slab then add finishes slabs over for tiles, carpet etc