Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 20 Announced

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
See the official announcement here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/info/news/press_releases/archicad-20-a-fresh-look-at-bim.html

There are already a few clips that show what is new:

http://archicad.com/en/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
165 REPLIES 165
vistasp
Advisor
Cyndru323 wrote:
We just downloaded ARCHICAD 20 yesterday and I must say I am beyond disappointed in the new look. I have a meeting today with clients and I am embarrassed by how cheap the program now looks. .
My old(ish) eyes could certainly do with a bit more contrast on the icons, sure, but I'd hardly call the interface unprofessional or childish. On the contrary, most children's software is overly colourful.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
DGSketcher
Legend
Cyndru323 wrote:
I will say it again, I am embarrassed to meet with my clients this evening and them see the very unprofessional looking program I am using.
It will only look unprofessional if that's how you present it!
You could always try using BIMX?
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Cyndru323 wrote:
I am beyond disappointed in the new look. I have a meeting today with clients and I am embarrassed by how cheap the program now looks. The new "stick figure" looking Icons look like something from a child's program not a high end program.
Funny - I felt almost the opposite. I was a bit embarrassed by the illustrations and colours in earlier versions because it looked like I was using something designed circa Windows 95.

I really love the new look – it seems a far better fit with current design and illustrations from my perspective. Personal taste I guess, but I can't agree that the new UI is anything other than professional.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Karl Griffith
Booster
Agreed - I met with clients last night and presented a project using ArchiCAD - they were thrilled with what it could do. I don't think they really gave the interface a thought - they were focused on the content.

And I do think a touch of color would help - not a lot, just to help distinguish similar icons.
ArchiCAD 22

Win 10
While I won't go as far as to say the new interface looks "childish" or unprofessional, I will say that it's been really hard getting used to it.

Every time I start a new project in v20, I shortly find myself reverting to ArchiCAD 19 just because it's easier to read and tell the icons apart and I feel like I'm wasting productivity time and resources trying to adapt to something that feels like it's fighting me.

I just wish they had kept an option allowing users to revert to the old icon and interface color scheme rather than trying to force everyone to adopt their new scheme cold turkey.

And that's aside from ArchiCAD 20's sluggishness issues (on my machines at least).
It just feels like a misfire in many ways IMHO.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Depriving the icons of the colors was one HUGE mistake they made. 100 bucks says they're gonna bring it back in version 22 or earlier. Visuals work BEST with people and from visuals colors are the most appealing (then forms from round to edgy to complex).

They should've hired graphic designers who know what they're doing. In this area architects suck big time. And I'm guessing they just hired architects for this job, same as those who work on the software. Big mistake as it seems.

I'm having trouble too. Flat icons aren't helping as well as no colors. My eyes literally hurt.