cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Absolute vs Relative path

Rick Thompson
Expert
I am trying to understand a few basic (for most of you, but not me:) computer notations. What does the ::: mean in front of ":::Business:Stock Plans:Details - etc:Details master: PLN:details.pln"? I am assuming 3 levels down, and those 3 levels are common to the host file? Both files, the pln plan file and the pln external "detail" file, are in the same>>> well, please see the attachment for the file structure.

To make a long story shorter, my AC10 files loose the placed details from an external file way too easy. If I duplicate a base file the details need relinking.. even though the path appears to be the same for both after relinking.

What does Relative Path vs Absolute Path determine under the Drawing Selection Settings?

All this is an effort (in vane?) is to figure out a way to keep from relinking the details all the time. Since I randomly need to update some of them (but not all), the whole thing seems buggie to me, I am wondering if loosing the links ("unavailable") is accidental or a computer file thing.

thanks for any suggestions

screen shot.jpg
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
0 REPLIES 0