Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Stretch Relative/Absolute

Zdenko
Advocate

read most if not all of the posts i could find on stretching and have not been able to solve? i have a beam that simply needs to be stretched 12' on either end. seems yesterday stretching elements was not a problem. for some reason when i try to key in 12' it gives me either a stretch down near the origin of 0,0 or it gives me a beam that is exactly 12' long or it moves it to the left of the end point of the beam itself? i have gone bonkers selecting/deselecting switches in the tracker and work environments to the point i have no clue what is what anymore. any suggestions?

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon Sonoma 14.4.1

Archicad 27 5030 USA Full Apple
M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

If stretching is relative to the origin (you will see a line linking to the origin), then turn on 'Relative Coordinates in Tracker' so it will be based on the other end of the element.

BarryKelly_0-1713598077978.png

And to stretch a given distance from any point, stretch and move cursor to that point then type distance required followed by '+' to add the distance or '-' to subtract the distance.

BarryKelly_1-1713598088511.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution

@Zdenko wrote:

hi Mahmoud - generally speaking most of my stretching is related to increasing/decreasing the element by a specific distance as you have shown. looks like the "+" is working and understand but what am i doing wrong with the "-".

Because you are Imperial measurements, I think you may have to type '-' twice.

i.e. 2 - -

The first minus is a shortcut for feet I believe.

I am not 100% sure, as I do not use Imperial measurements.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Solution

@Barry Kelly wrote:

@Zdenko wrote:

hi Mahmoud - generally speaking most of my stretching is related to increasing/decreasing the element by a specific distance as you have shown. looks like the "+" is working and understand but what am i doing wrong with the "-".

Because you are Imperial measurements, I think you may have to type '-' twice.

i.e. 2 - -

The first minus is a shortcut for feet I believe.

I am not 100% sure, as I do not use Imperial measurements.

Barry.

That is correct, need to type "-" twice.

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

17 REPLIES 17
aarkell
Enthusiast

Are you trying to stretch the ends in plan? If so, you can click on an end node of a beam and before dragging hold down shift and it should give you the option to then type in the additional value you want it to stretch.

Andrew Arkell

AC 18-27 USA 4060
HP Z6 G4 Workstation | Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6226R CPU @ 2.90GHz | Windows 10

lol...you again 🙂

yes that is what i was trying to do? i ended up using guide lines to stretch out. i will try the shift key, but yesterday it was automatic with the tracker and was able to work all day with no issues. i can draw lines with no issues but for some reason this has me scratching my head? something changed and that is the part i am frustrated with.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

I don't believe anything has changed. You select the beam, click the node you want to stretch, and when you hold down shift key the distance value in your tracker should switch to zero. Still holding the shift key you can then press tab and enter the value you want your beam to stretch. Maybe you are releasing shift too early?

Andrew Arkell

AC 18-27 USA 4060
HP Z6 G4 Workstation | Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6226R CPU @ 2.90GHz | Windows 10

the only difference is i have not been using the shift key. typically i have been able to select the node and move the mouse in the given direction is all that was needed.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5
Solution
Barry Kelly

If stretching is relative to the origin (you will see a line linking to the origin), then turn on 'Relative Coordinates in Tracker' so it will be based on the other end of the element.

BarryKelly_0-1713598077978.png

And to stretch a given distance from any point, stretch and move cursor to that point then type distance required followed by '+' to add the distance or '-' to subtract the distance.

BarryKelly_1-1713598088511.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

thank you Barry! need to better understand the software algorithm. found a you tube video that looks promising.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

hear is an example of my lack of not understanding how to stretch? i can easily stretch lines, move, drag a copy by inputting dimensional information. all i want to do is stretch the ends of these walls by 12"? i have tried relative on/off but obviously don't understand such a basic command?

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

Here I am stretching a wall 2000mm - you would just use 12"+ instead of 2000+

BarryKelly_0-1713923983969.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

ok now i see what the difference. but i don't recall having to place the pencil at the starting point to stretch a particular length. i could have sworn that i have been able to stretch the elements by simply making the element active, selecting node/point and move the cursor in x or y direction, using shift or visual, and then key-in the distance without the "+". regardless, i will pay more attention to my process.

have a good night and thank you Barry.

M3 Max 36GB MacBook Pro
iOS Sonoma 14.5

Setup info provided by author